• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Faerie Rising Featured on Writing with Color

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Congrats to you and the team. I'm currently reading Faerie Rising and I barely even noticed the "color" (it's more than just skin color) aspect. They were just characters doing things. For which you get a well done from me!

Anyway, congratulations again. It's great to be noticed!

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Congrats to you and the team. I'm currently reading Faerie Rising and I barely even noticed the "color" (it's more than just skin color) aspect. They were just characters doing things. For which you get a well done from me!

Anyway, congratulations again. It's great to be noticed!
It's very exciting to know you're reading our little Faerie Rising! We greatly respect your opinion and can't wait to hear what you think of it. Squee!

Congratulations.

I'm curious. Did you actually set out to write a tale about racial & ethnic diversity or did you just write a story and these were the people who showed up?

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Congratulations.

I'm curious. Did you actually set out to write a tale about racial & ethnic diversity or did you just write a story and these were the people who showed up?
Bit of both. It started with the second one, since most people will write within the common narrative and thus what is familiar, what characters who's stories we see the most often. And then as we learned about the importance of inclusive writing we began making conscious choices to include characters who's stories are less often told. For example, Brian MacDowell, our young Hero just coming into his abilities, had Henry Cavill as a body model for ages. Very white. Literally the last night before publication, it occurred to us that there was no reason he needed to be white, and a whole lot of good reasons for him to be black. So we changed him at the eleventh hour and it brought a richness and depth to the character that had previously not been there.

It also meant that we now had nothing in the way of straight, white, cis, able males, but to be honest, nobody's noticed.