• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How can an animal rights organization prevent the extinction of dragons ?

Erebus

Troubadour
I am a descendant of the Unsullied, who once served Daenerys Targaryen, the First of Her Name, The Unburnt, Queen of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Queen of Meereen, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Realm, Lady Regent of the Seven Kingdoms, Breaker of Chains and Mother of Dragons”. After taking over Kings Landing and burning thousands of men, women, and children to death in a completely justifiable act ( those bastards deserved it anyway, oh well), she brought the 7 kingdoms to kneel and ushered in an age of peace and tranquility. A thousand years later, however, the reign of her family has come to an end as democracy has taken its place.

In today's world, dragons are an endangered species. They are being hunted by poachers and greedy corporations who seek to make a profit from them. Industries have developed which turn these beautiful creatures into products for people. This includes food, clothing, armor, and other materials. People endorse and wear these items, unconcerned about the pain and suffering the fatcats cause to these majestic animals. An organization, Unsullied for the Ethical Treatment of Dragons (UETD), has come together in a campaign to prevent this horrific abuse and put a stop to these industries by raising awareness. The tagline " I'd rather go naked than wear dragon-hide" has become synonymous with UETD, as they showcase the cruelty that uncaring citizens endorse with their ignorance and the selfish disregard for their plight.

The problem is promotion of their ideas. Certain creatures, like pandas, have the cuteness factor that people find adorable. It is easy for people to feel pity for their plight. Dragons have no such advantage, and are like sharks. It is difficult to get people to care about them being endangered. How can UETD prevent dragons from being exterminated under these hardships?

Miles Lacey

Archmage
There are a few arguments that could be used by UETD including:

1. If dragons continue to be hunted at the rate they are there won't be a dragon based industry for much longer.

2. Find a cute animal that would go extinct if the dragons go extinct. That's a good hook.

3. Promote a quota for how many dragons can be killed each year based on how many dragons hatch each year. More dragons being born = more dragons can be killed that year.

4. Promote the idea that killing dragons is bad for people. The dragons may play a little known but vital role in protecting people. For example their burning of vegetation allows the growth of a particular staple food crop.

Miles Lacey

Archmage
How about easing 2nd amendment restrictions and letting dragons use their fire?

Even if another world was stupid enough to introduce a 2nd Amendment type law I doubt it would do anything to save them. If the dragons in this world have become endangered because they are being hunted down it would imply that people have found a way to negate whatever self-defence techniques these dragons have, including fire breathing.

The four approaches I've mentioned that UETD could take have all been used here in New Zealand and by various animal welfare, environmentalist and government agencies elsewhere.

For such an approach to work it will depend on how well informed those people trying to save the dragons and those people who make a living from dragon products are about each other and the dragons they are trying to protect or make a living from.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Promote the Dragons human-like characteristics. Talk up how intelligent they are, their family bonds, loyalty, anything that will get people thinking of them as anything but a resource to be exploited.

Make a TV series or movie franchise featuring the dragons as hero's. I don't know, maybe something about them saving the world from so great evil king or something. Nothing makes things as popular and cuddly as a good movie.

Also, why can't they be cuddly. Some people like snakes and lizards, so why not dragons. A lot of people definitely visit comodo dragons. In the end, that might be the best way to protect them. If you go for "look at how cuddly and sweet they are" to protect them then you're relying on the goodness of people. If instead you go for "Look at how much money you can make with live dragons, it's a lot more then when they're dead" then you're appealing to people's greed. And I know which one I would trust long term....

Vaporo

Inkling
Simple. Domesticate and breed them. Then there wouldn't be such a need to hunt wild dragons. (Goes back to playing Dwarf Fortress)

K.S. Crooks

Maester
Establish a remote location for them to live, teach them how to evade humans and defend themselves, attack the people that hunt dragons, domestic some dragons and use them to patrol their habitat, breed more dragons and release to the wild