• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What parameters should be set for an unholy Trinity to be worshipped as one bein

Erebus

Troubadour
Zoth-Ommog is an ancient and demonic god that exists outside reality and seeks to enter our world. To accomplish this, he took a virgin to be his "bride" in order to reincarnate a portion of himself into the mortal realm. This mortal would be inseminated with a piece of Zoth's power in order to produce a child.This prophecy would eventually break down the barriers between realities that would eventually lead to both realms becoming one.

This dark Messianic figure would go on to begin the process of combining both worlds, but would eventually leave this reality, leaving the unfinished work to his followers. The religion that developed around this god is well aware of this truth, and how this prophecy involved three individuals: Zoth, the mortal bride, and the product of their union. However, instead of worshipping these three beings as separate gods, I would like this faith to go on to worship this trinity as one being, similar to the blessed trinity in Christendom. How can I ensure that this outcome is possible?

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Just say it is so. They are all parts and facets of the same end point. If you have to justify it, make that the focus.

Erebus

Troubadour
Just say it is so. They are all parts and facets of the same end point. If you have to justify it, make that the focus.

The problem is that I can't find a way for this to make sense practically. If the son is supposed to be divine, then the mother should be divine as well, as she is also representing the creator. However, just like Mary in the story, she is simply a mortal woman with no godhood attached to her. The logical solution would be to give her some kind of divinity, but if an aspect of God is already on earth in mortal form, that defeats the purpose of having a son in the first place.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Catholics see no difficulty in squaring that circle.
Christianity is not something I know a lot about theologically so I can't go in to the dogma and doctrine of why that might be the case.
And who said a religion had to be logical anyway... :whistle:

ButlerianHeretic

Troubadour
It sounds like the son would be what the greeks called a demigod, or half-god. Since the god being an evil thing that would wipe out nearly all life in the world with a massive global cataclysm, then after the few survivors have repopulated would then burn whole cities and command his followers to genocide (or some such general wickedness) if they could actually embody themselves physically in the world. So in order for the world to be a place that mortals can survive long enough for there to be a story they are barred from actually just getting down with their evil self. So they'd create a demigod son to do evil on their behalf.

Of course it would be ironic if the half god of such an evil deity turned out to be a nice guy, but I'm sure even those who claimed to follow the nice-guy demigod would still worship the evil deity too because sometimes you have to have an excuse to torture and burn people, and do genocide cuz reasons. But I digress...

The problem is that I can't find a way for this to make sense practically. If the son is supposed to be divine, then the mother should be divine as well, as she is also representing the creator. However, just like Mary in the story, she is simply a mortal woman with no godhood attached to her. The logical solution would be to give her some kind of divinity, but if an aspect of God is already on earth in mortal form, that defeats the purpose of having a son in the first place.
In Greek mythology, Zeus didn't stop impregnating mortal women and nymphs just because he already had a child or a few out there. In Christianity, Mary isn't divine (except when she is). Why can't multiple aspects of God be running around on Earth in mortal form? Why should the mother of a divine child have to be divine herself? Existing traditions say otherwise.

WooHooMan

Auror
I think the only way to make it work is to make the mom not-human. Perhaps she’s a physical reflection or emanation of Zoth. Sort of an avatar but mirrored gender-wise due to being grounded in the physical world. Then maybe she does a virgin birth thing to give birth to the direct physical incarnation of Zoth. So Zoth emanates as the woman who asexually produces the evil messiah guy.
So Zoth is the demon in god form, the woman is the demon in demigod form and the child is the demon in human form. Sort of like how air, water and ice are all H2O in different physical states.

If you try looking at Hinduism, there’s a lot of examples of reverse-gender avatars, and gods interacting with their avatars, divine being reproducing asexually, all kinds of junk like that.