• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Help with magical enchantments

ShadeZ

Maester
So in my world there are three categories of magic, pure magic (raw magic if you will), elemental magic (magic with a coded in form, faeries are 95% elemental magic, monsters and dragons are 90%), and anti-magic (the Demiduur Dragon slayers use this, it decodes and dispells magic, at is most powerful form it eats magic energy and is seen usually in an extremely negative light, Dragon slayers and very old mages can use it).

There are seven elemental magic classes each linked to a plane in the magic realm. Here they are.
Light
Dark
Mind
Wind
Fire
Earth
Water/Ice

In addition to their outstanding abilities to use magic the sentient species of these realms Faeries, elves(half fae half human, or the result of a human being in the faerie realm too long), Dragons, and Noble Beasts (powerful monsters that serve dragons). All have the ability to enchant common things with magical properties.

I am stuck on what properties they could enchant though. I would like it if the enchantment links to their element for example a bracelet enchanted with ice magic might turn into an ice shield when the owner is attacked. Any ideas would be appreciated thanks :)

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Light = an object that produces light, perhaps a crystal of some sort.

Darkness = an object that extinguishes all forms of illumination within its area of effect.

Mind = 1 a object (crown, perhaps) that lets the wearer influence the thoughts of others,or 2 a object that counters such influence.

Wind = a knotted bit of rope that when broken or unraveled unleashes a blast of wind in a specific direction. (from old line sailing superstitions)

Fire = Potion that bursts into flame when exposed to air.

Earth = magic sword or similar

K.S. Crooks

Maester
Hope these are the types of ideas you're think about.
Light- A mirror that allows the viewer to see through another mirror if the person has seen it before
Dark- A blanket that sends whatever it covers to another location
Mind- A scroll or pen that can command a person for a certain amount of time
Wind- A sack that opens to release a strong gust of wind
Fire- A torch that grants the person who lights it enhanced physical abilities for a certain amount of time (Olympic level)
Earth- A cane that can create small rifts/gaps in the ground and stone
Water- A pitcher that when filled with water the water can cure any illness

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
So in my world there are three categories of magic, pure magic (raw magic if you will), elemental magic (magic with a coded in form, faeries are 95% elemental magic, monsters and dragons are 90%), and anti-magic (the Demiduur Dragon slayers use this, it decodes and dispells magic, at is most powerful form it eats magic energy and is seen usually in an extremely negative light, Dragon slayers and very old mages can use it).

There are seven elemental magic classes each linked to a plane in the magic realm. Here they are.
Light
Dark
Mind
Wind
Fire
Earth
Water/Ice

In addition to their outstanding abilities to use magic the sentient species of these realms Faeries, elves(half fae half human, or the result of a human being in the faerie realm too long), Dragons, and Noble Beasts (powerful monsters that serve dragons). All have the ability to enchant common things with magical properties.

I am stuck on what properties they could enchant though. I would like it if the enchantment links to their element for example a bracelet enchanted with ice magic might turn into an ice shield when the owner is attacked. Any ideas would be appreciated thanks :)
looking over your list, I'd be tempted to combine 'light' with 'fire' and dump 'dark' altogether as its an absence, rather than an ability. 'Mind' would become a prerequisite for learning the other branches of magic. I'd also strongly suggest linking 'earth' with 'fire' / 'light' and combining 'wind' / 'water' / 'ice'

Firefly

Troubadour
I disagree with ThinkerX, I like the classes you have. I think it feels more natural and less engineered when you have lots of classes and they aren’t to neat and tidy. (Who knows? Maybe the boundaries between these elements are blurry and come more from the people trying to understand them than the magic itself anyway.)

But you asked for suggestions more than feedback on the framework itself, so here are some ideas for that:

Light—Could be as simple as enchanted glowing stones that never go out, (Those could be quite useful, or used for decorative/luxury items), or as complicated as invisibility cloaks and rings that create illusions when you put them on. Objects that emit magical beacons could be used like signal fires or lighthouses. Magic glasses/telescopes could be used to have further magnification or see around corners. Objects that change color/change the color of other things. Any sort of magic mirrors, as K.S suggests, would be fair game, whether they’re for communication, showing truth, or seeing into alternate dimensions. If you took the ideas of “sight” to the extreme, you could also have objects that see into the future, function like X-ray machines, see auras, make other magic (or anything else) visible, etc. A lot depends on whether you want to stick to things that are literally manipulating light, or use anything that can be conceptually linked.

Dark—I could see invisibility-granting objects fitting here, too. (always makes a magic system feel fuller when there’s more than one way to do things). Snakeskins that let you talk to shadows and ask them what they’ve seen. A piece of parchment that keeps secrets, eating up words as soon as they’re written and only showing them to certain people. If you’re going with the dark magic = evil magic, you could include a lot of cursed objects. Arrows or other weapons that blind the enemy when they touch them. One-way glass. Boots that don’t leave footprints. Darkness is often peaceful/associated with the night, so maybe calming flowers or pillows that magically put people to sleep or prevent nightmares (or gauntlets that keep their wearers from needing sleep to begin with).

Mind—A circlet that prevents or facilitates mind control. A bracelet that ensures the wearer is speaking the truth. Chains that can sense when their wearer is trying to escape. A necklace that erases or replaces memories, and a feather to help you remember things. Metal designed to disrupt concentration and keep those near it from thinking clearly. Matching ribbons that grant their holders telepathy. Objects that cause/repress certain emotions, such as a trinket that makes someone feel more in love, a doll that eases stress and anxiety, and an axe that keeps an executioner from feeling guilt or empathy when they kill.

Wind—Maybe a camel’s bridle that creates a small pocket of calm around the rider during a sandstorm. Ships or carpets that straight-up fly. (anything that levitates, really.). Objects could also be enchanted to weigh less so they’d be easier to move/carry. Gates could be enchanted to blast unauthorized entrants with massive gusts of wind. I could also see wind magic being used to muffle/amplify sound, create spaces of vacuum, or allow people to breathe underwater or at super high altitudes.

I think I’m going to have to stop there, but I hope some of those are helpful to you! It was fun to brainstorm them, I might even end up using some of them myself.

S J Lee

Inkling
IF you are writing a RPG rulebook, / tie-in, this is all great stuff... if it is merely for your OWN knowledge of how the magic works, great, so that you are working to inner rules of your own... but I would say don't even think of putting comprehensive lists of magical properties etc into a novel you would want to actually sell to a wide, non-niche audience...fantasy is already a niche, in a way... most people will instantly fall asleep if you hit them with this stuff. Have a thrilling story + characters, and if the story needs magic, put some in, BUT avoid lengthy exposition in one chunk.... and do not put so much magic that it can simply solve every problem, because then you are stuck with it. Just don't contradict the magic you have already used on the page, and explain only what you need to, so the audience can understand the story and get on with reading it