• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Earth's future super continent as setting. Help?

I need some Science help with my settings as my brain isn't built for this stuff. I've done some research but it didn't really cover what I needed to know.
The idea was earth has a super continent similar to Pangaea. I wanted this because I need a large area that could be controlled by humans and the other half to have been taken over by a foreign species. Both are fighting for ground.

Having seas split up the different countries would make travel difficult. It might get confusing to have different situations going on in different countries. Some humans in some countries are losing, others are winning.

But would any humans be able to survive our continents all colliding? Would they have to leave earth then return?

Plus the continents all coming together is predicted for about 200-250 million years in the future. It's hard to imagine the human race with such a time jump. Would we even look the same? Maybe I'm going for something too complicated and could simplify it. What do you think?

Eventually, the continental drift will cause the parts to rejoin, I can't remember where, but there is a simulation video I seen a few years ago that showed what that new landmass might look like. I want to say it was put out by NOAA, but I might be wrong, could have been some kid from MIT plucking about for chits n giggles. IDK.
However, evolution is something we can predict, the divergent paths we may take have all been thought of by brains far bigger than mine. I'm fairly sure some googling about would lead you to some of those theories.

Hopefully, this helped.

elemtilas

Inkling
It's your world and your story, so I say go for it!

Continental drift is a thing, and most folks are surviving it pretty well, all things considered. After all, India has been smashing into Asia for quite a while now; and Africa and Europe are on a collision course.

If you don't want to deal with hundreds of millions of years, just assume a huge supercontinent exists and leave it at that! Just look for images of "future supercontinent" and you'll find all kinds of possibles to spark your imagination.

Chuck

Scribe
The problem many people seem to have with this idea is that they tend to think that the continents will "slam" into each other. The continents move minuscule distances each year, maybe an inch or so. Like elemtias said, look at the geology of the border between India and Asia. That is how the borders will look and act. There will be mountains, earthquakes, and maybe some volcanoes, but nothing too catastrophic.

elemtilas

Inkling
The problem many people seem to have with this idea is that they tend to think that the continents will "slam" into each other. The continents move minuscule distances each year, maybe an inch or so. Like elemtias said, look at the geology of the border between India and Asia. That is how the borders will look and act. There will be mountains, earthquakes, and maybe some volcanoes, but nothing too catastrophic.

And this depends on the kind of world we're dealing with and what fundamentals underlie the surface process of continental collision.

If your world's deepmost places are populated with gigantic beings that uphold the continental plates, well, you might be in for a ride from time to time!