• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Favorite Bits

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Here's something fun. What is the most favorite bit you've written lately? No time limit. Everyone writes according to their own time clock. Ours is this...

Deirdre beamed at the assembled court. “Who wants to play hurling?”

The court erupted into cheers— except for Aodhán, who seemed to suppress a groan.

Deirdre pointed at her son. “You’re playing. Don’t think you can wriggle out of it, this time.”

“As my dread lady wishes, I will obey.” He gave her a smile that to all appearances was the genuine article and bowed in place.

Brian leaned into Winter. “What’s hurling?”

Winter chuckled softly. “It’s my people’s attempt at publicly committing suicide. It’s an ancient Irish game, thousands of years old. No one knows if the Irish learned it from the faeries, or if the faeries learned it from the Irish.”

“Either way,” Aodhán cut in, “it’s a lot like lacrosse — have you seen lacrosse? — it’s like lacrosse and American football had an unholy Irish baby.”

“And forgot the protective gear.” Lana took a sip of her wine. “Even in Ireland, I hear that head protection has only been around about ten years or so.”

King Ceallach looked quizzical. “Head protection? For hurling?”

Brian suppressed the panicked expression he wanted to direct toward Winter. He was going to die.

Ceallach didn’t miss it and laughed in a good-natured manner. “It’s just hurling. It’s not war. You’ll be fine, young Hero.”

Insolent Lad

Maester
Okay, I'll play...

The ship had turned, Na was sure, no longer working its way into the wind. Who could tell what direction was what in this gloom of impending storm?

The gloom of night would follow soon. A voice cried out. She rose and turned to see a mass loom suddenly from the darkness. The pirate ship! Its crew seemed as surprised as theirs for frantic shouts arose and it veered suddenly. None the less, it grated along the flank of the Tesran merchant, entangling and sheering the oars of both ships.

“Enough!” said Na. Perhaps she only said it to herself; she was not certain after. What she did remember clearly was reaching out into the infinite and finding fire. A world of fire, with a great volcano belching lava down its dark desolate slopes. Lava wouldn’t do. Too difficult to bring, though it was certainly possible, with enough effort. But ash —

A moment later, hot volcanic ash rained on the enemy vessel. Only for a few seconds was Na able to hold the connection and let it through. That was enough. Its sail — it had but the one — burst into flame, and fires sprang up here and there on the deck. More devastating was the toll it took on the crew.

She averted her eyes from the mayhem she had wrought. Where was Im? Oh, he had gone to fetch cloaks. Safe below deck, no doubt.

Captain Mak approached. It was hard to read his face as he glanced toward the burning pirate ship and then back to Na. “Young Im went over the side when yon pirates jolted us,” he said. “I fear he is lost to the sea.”

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I’ve got heavier pieces, but I went with something lighthearted...

“Godsdamn, boy. You had to go and buy them boots, didn’t you?”

Solineus glanced to his feet and wiggled his toes. He ordered them the week before, custom fitted, and they were snug and comfortable on his feet like nothing he’d felt before. They were crafted from berôt skin, some sort of lizard-fish that hunted the waters of Kônu Bay. Folks claimed it had teeth long as a man’s hand. “If I’d walked across the mountains wearing these I would’ve made it a week sooner.”

Adinvan snorted and Hadin waggled his finger at the boots. “How’n the hells can you wear them damned things with those... those things flappin’ on ‘em?”

Straps a hand and a half long dangled to either side of both boots and they flapped as he walked. “Says the man who don’t wear boots unless there’s ice on the ground. They’re called mule ears, they help to pull them on in the morning.”

Adinvan said, “At least cover ‘em with your pantlegs; you humiliate me.”

“Anyone looking at my boots is scared to look me in the eye, what the hells should I care about them for?”

“Berôt eat people, you know. It’s like the damned things are chewing their way up your legs.”

“They’re comfortable.”

“You’re mother will disown you.”

“They’re already paid for.”

“As lord of the Clan Emudar I command you throw them into the bay.”

“I’m buying the both of you a pair. Two pairs each.”

“The hells, you say.”

Hadin said, “Cut off the wings and I’ll think on it.”

“Ears, not wings.” Solineus turned and walked down the dock. “Forget the boots, let’s get to the Lady Moon.”

“Can’t forget them damned boots with their flap, flap, flappin’ like that.”

Solineus couldn’t fight the smile no longer and was glad they walked behind him. “Got all our favorite beers loaded?”

“Aye, kegs and kegs. Best gold you spent, but they’re aboard the cog.”

“We’re sailing on the wrong ship, then.”

Hadin said, “I’m kind of gettin’ m’self used to the rhythm of them there winged boots, I might needs me a pair after all.”

I would be interested in feedback on a scene I wrote a few days ago, but am uncertain about forum rules, so I'll just give it a bit of backstory and info before posting.

It is a scene from a sci-fi story - a sequel. The first novel comes out next year. In the first story Mitch (MC) and Timmy are bitter rivals, both at work and for the hand of the fair Lisa, but by the end of the novel they have become friends. In the new story, Mitch is told by Marty (a humanoid alien who lived secretly some years on earth) that Timmy is in love with him. Now they are alone together on a spaceship with the only other character being the shipboard computer - the comm - who has reduced his apparent intellect to their own level for the purposes of fitting in.

To give a bit of flavour for the story, the log line is: An Australian story of pan-cosmic enormity. It's mildly amusing but satirical and dealing with some very serious subjects. I was actually surprised when Timmy suddenly turned out to be non-hetero - I hadn't intended that but it fits the story perfectly. The scene also includes a teensy amount of "language" - as all my books do - they would be rated MA if they were movies.

So, this was an odd scene for me to write and I hope I've done it justice. I think it's fairly tasteful, but what would I know? Before I post I'd like a bit of moderator feedback on whether it sounds like the sort of thing that will enrich the forum without smashing the rules.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Nothing much, just a line, spoken by my MC.

"Wizards and monsters I can handle," he said. "Friends are more difficult."

Hi,

Just a line from my latest, which may be altered a little.

"People had a saying. Revenge is a dish best served cold. Sam had a different version of that. Revenge was a dish best served with sharp cutlery. And she felt an urge to sharpen some knives!"

Cheers, Greg