• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

History of pigments and their usage

vivienne

Acolyte
I am interested in learning more about pigments and their history, from Renaissance until modern times. I found an older thread here called Ask me about Art which is really cool and already informative, but as far as I can see, inactive for some years.
Nevertheless, if anyone could help me out with some answers, or guide me towards some resources, I would be grateful!

For example, I would like to know about how these pigments were made and if they were dangerous. Scheele's Green and Paris Green used to be quite popular, until they were replaced by friendlier, far less toxic alternatives.
I've read a bit about this topic in Bill Bryson's "At Home: A Short History of Private Life" but I can't find the book at the moment and it didn't explore the topic that deep anyhow.
Plus, if you know more about how painting/fresco restoration was made between 1600 - 1800, please do share!

It's a little off the exact inquiry but there's a book called "Color: A Natural History of the Palette" by Victoria Finlay. I picked it up years ago because I loved the cover (also the topic!) and it was one of the best books I have ever read about the origins of pigments/colors, pigments vs dyes, and covers plenty of ground on the toxicity of pigments containing lead etc. It also brushes on the impact on society of each pigment as it was developed. Carmine Red from the blood of insects, aboriginal ochres, ultramarine from Afghan mines, the accidental discovery of Tyrian purple and more.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
On a hunch, I took this "how painting/fresco restoration was made between 1600 - 1800" straight from the OP and plugged it into search engines. Without digging very deep, I found the following.

https://www.getty.edu/conservation/...pdf_publications/pdf/historical_paintings.pdf
Early Modern Low Countries

This search string "paints and pigments between 1600 - 1800" was more useful. I'll let those interested pick through the results. Short version: we know a fair amount about this. Information gets sketchy (hah!) before 1500 or so.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I've started reading the conference proceedings [I should know the exact word for it but it escapes me this morning]. There is a lot and I mean a LOT of detailed information in there. It is a pleasure to read.
Thank you Skip for finding it for me, especially when I didn't know I needed to know about the subject.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
NP, CupofJoe.

The history of any pre-industrial craft offers potential for the storyteller. With paint, I immediately think of how similar mixing pigments is to mixing elements for a spell or enchantment. Or making magical paint. Even the most mundane of trades would repay study, especially for those not looking to write epic fantasy. The craft-y touches could still add color, though I'm not sure it'd be worth the time needed to research.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I’ll have to check into this, the system of magic I use has the potential to use minerals to enchant a painting, but I hadn’t dug deep enough to see beyond a few obvious sources of power.

zoey

Acolyte
I occasionally go back to undergrad chemistry textbooks to find details I need for something I am writing. It's not easy. I scour books, magazines and old articles. I occasionally just write to a chemistry professor I know and beg for help! Chemistry was not a fave subject, and this becomes all the more of a challenge. I sometimes get lost in tangential reading and have to literally pull myself out. But then, all that stays in the brain and a story can ferment for later.