• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What is the difference

If a person lived in a world where magic was a given, they might just ask themselves, "How does that magic work?"
But we're not talking about them. We're talking about people who live in a world of science, for whom nothing could ever seem like magic.

I think I'm beginning to sound boring, so that's my last word on the matter.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I don't know, I am willing to call anything with space ships, SciFi, and anything with swords, Fantasy. It is okay with me if the lines are fuzzy so long as the story is good.

Maybe I should have said SyFy, in which case, both have a word that starts with F and ends in Y, but one has science in front of it.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
If any distinguishing needs to be done, then only a sentient entity can do it.

But where in the statement does it say that entity needs to believe in the supernatural or not in order to make that distinction.

But we're not talking about them. We're talking about people who live in a world of science, for whom nothing could ever seem like magic.

I guess you've never watched Penn and Teller or David Copperfield. Just because magic isn't real doesn't mean there can't be the illusion of it.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Are we seriously debating the interpretation of a quote? I hate to say it but something can be right, wrong and annoying all at the same time.

Aldarion

Archmage
Can someone tell me the difference between fantasy and science fiction?

Personally, I define them by a veener of scientifibality (is that correct word?). Sci-fi will attempt to at least appear to have scientific basis for its stuff (even if it is just "technobabble") while fantasy is comfortable with outright magic. Of course, many settings straddle the line - both Star Trek and Star Wars quite often go "screw this" and throw in actual space magic with no attempt at scientific explanation whatsoever.

I don't think there is a clean line between the two because I've seen novels that included magic but are listed first as a science-fiction. I think which dictates the major genre is which way does the novel mostly lean? Is it Science based, with a scientific magic systems? Or is there an element of Science used by mythical or magical beings and focuses more on what the magic does and less about the technicalities of how it's made.