• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Starting with daily life?

Well, I'm going to attempt to write the first chapter, without any planning for the rest of the novel, mostly for the experience. I've noticed, reading back through my own work, that I don't immerse myself in my characters much. Being I don't, my readers don't experience the character either. So I'm going to try to write closely to the character which is something I've never really done nor read much of because I tend to read thrillers or novels with thriller pacing. Wish me luck! lol

I checked out the book recommendations and actually got quite hook on "Invisible Monsters".

Well, I'm going to attempt to write the first chapter, without any planning for the rest of the novel, mostly for the experience. I've noticed, reading back through my own work, that I don't immerse myself in my characters much. Being I don't, my readers don't experience the character either. So I'm going to try to write closely to the character which is something I've never really done nor read much of because I tend to read thrillers or novels with thriller pacing. Wish me luck! lol

I checked out the book recommendations and actually got quite hook on "Invisible Monsters".

"Invisible Monsters" is a good one to get hooked on. Glad you're enjoying it.

I’ve always started with an upheaval. In one story, it was the death of the old king. In a later project, it was a dragon hunt. I’ve heard that one of the best ways to start a book is to name a character, place him/her in danger, and have something unexpected occur. Right off the bat, you’ve got the reader’s interest. More importantly, you’ve got their sympathy. Then you can really jump into things.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Great advice so far and it is odd me wanting to open with a more relaxed chapter because as a writer I like that idea, but as a reader I have little patience. I do, after a page, start wanting something interesting to happen. So for that reason I don't own many books with a more steady introduction, that balance everything really well. So if anyone has any more suggestions for novels that would be great. I'd like to actually read one that holds my interest just to see how it's done. Because if it can hold my interest it'll hold the interest of those with tons more patience than me!
I'm a fan of Nathan Lowell's works. Most of it is science fiction, and not fantasy, but the basic premise is that it's stories about everyday characters living ordinary lives, but in a fantasy/scifi setting. My suggestions would be to start with this one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PUSZDZY/ - it was released in 2014, so it's relatively recent, too.