• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

New member, first time writing

Hello! I am a new writer attempting my first delve into the fantasy genre.

My goal is to write fantasy that utilizes the most grounded magic system I could manage. One in which spells are akin to computer coding to alter the “source code” of reality. In order for an Arcanist to understand the “codes”, or “keys” as they will be called, they must understand the function of that key in reality. An arcanist will need to understand a subject before they can effectively alter it by changing it’s key for temporary effects, such as allowing fire to burn without fuel or oxygen, causing light to reflect off of thin air to create illusions or change the boiling points of a substance.

My universe will have a strong grounding with reality and it will require a lot of research to ensure that I make the best and most appropriate use of the magic system to tell my story.

Thank you for your time!

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well-met Nethermoosen
Good to have you here.
It is an interesting concept.
It has hints of John Dee about it. And that can't be bad...
This is a great place to learn and share.
Leap in.

Ugh, prose. Lots of books written about how to write books, too. Seems to be something that people argue about quite often.

Neat magic concept! My first thought is Urban Fantasy.

Ugh, prose. Lots of books written about how to write books, too. Seems to be something that people argue about quite often.

Neat magic concept! My first thought is Urban Fantasy.

I have settled on creating the world from an earlier time period. Likely a medieval scenario in which arcanists have vastly superior resources and knowledge. I want to start from there and, if all goes well, write about later time periods with the previous book or books as the historical foundation. Maybe something along the lines of arcanists secretly manipulating the world by releasing knowledge and secrets to revolutionize at specific times in the world as way they see fit.