• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Any Media Depicting a Robot Society?

Been reading interesting Science stuff about organic computers and Organic Self-Assembly. Now brainstorming ideas about mechanical lifeforms that are "grown" in a test-tube.

So assuming you can make a robot with self-determination, what does it want? To that end I want to know of any books, TV, Movies that depict a "species" or Society of Robots.

The only one I can really think of is Transformers.

Hopefully some of us here are more well-read than I am.

There's the movie Robots, for a start. Asimov's stuff tends to deal with the robots in society and the Three Rules. The video game Alita possibly. Probably a lot more.

There might be something in nano-structures. There are two schools of thought: first is a Yang, absolutely place everything type of approach. The other is to allow the mechanism to develop on its own.

As for "what does it want", read up on "The Selfish Gene" (an older book). Mother Nature is usually about algorithms. This little robot wants sunlight, this other robot wants sunlight as well. Competition. You can observe this behavior in plants.

There is also the idea of humans needing to use mechanics to survive. Their own organic ability does not allow them to survive/compete in the particular environment, so they merged. Maybe the atmosphere has high levels of radiation or something. Just so quick thoughts. Best! ABR

I've been down a rabbit hole the past week. There is a lot of real world science on these topics.
Biosythetics via Organic Assembly
Artifical "living" cell made with metal instead of carbon
wetwork computers - made with living neurons as a processor

Honestly I could make a list of ten different robots in order of most robotic to lest robotic. And I kind of like it.