• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Uploading a story...

Slartibartfast

Minstrel
portfolios2.jpg

Ok apparently I can't let things go. It sounds like you're on this screen. There is no facility to attach a .doc to your entry. Any text you need to add can be copypasted in.

Jess Reynolds

Closed Account
Somewhere in Rural England - June 1928

Chapter 1

"I say Edward," Lord Montgomery Carruthers mumbled sleepily as Edward started pulling back the bedroom curtains, "have we had any replies to our advert we placed ages ago for a domestic lady to replace our dear old Mrs. Hagerty?"

"I'm afraid not Sir," said Edward, outwardly as impeturbable as ever. "Would you like me to enquire further, Sir?"

"Well actually old bean not just yet as I've since had a jolly good and much better idea," said Montie slowly sitting up. "I was leaving Westbury Library a couple of days ago when I noticed a new domestic hire agency had just opened next door so decided on the spot to pop in to see what they had to offer. Must say I was completely surprised when I discovered funny old Granny Witherspoon behind the front desk as she's always been into all sorts of odd things in the past like giving me birthday presents of my old clothes, or trying to marry me off to some woman older than she is. Still she soon recognised me giving me an awfully nice welcome and generally was very helpful indeed."

"Told her what we were looking for" he continued "to which she replied that unfortunately it was very hard to find good female domestics these days, but did suggest that as I already had an excellent butler why not get him to pop in then she could discuss my requirements with him in detail and more carefully. Something or other about getting a very nice girl immediately and two for the price of one which all lost me completely, way above my head y'know, adding she could guarantee a very satisfactory solution which would cost me nothing just payment on results. Have you ever heard of the agency?"

"I'm afraid I haven't, Sir," replied Edward thoughtfully as he started running the bath.

"Never mind think you can handle it all then old chap?" enquired Montie taking a long sip of hot tea and a large bite of hot buttered toast.

"Of course Sir," replied Edward.

"Must say it all sounded awfully good to me and dashed clever all round, so I immediately signed goodness knows how many silly forms and said you'd drop by this afternoon to finalise everything" mumbled Montie his mouth now full.

"Was that wise Sir do you think?" Edward said slowly.

"Oh good heavens yes, I've always had a soft spot for dear old Grannie Witherspoon mainstay of the family and all that y'know," said Montie cheerfully whilst exploring his chest absentmindedly for any more crumbs. "Now would you be a good fellow and sort it all out with her this afternoon. Take the Bentley as I've got to meet Lady Entwhistle and Colonel Pickering later on about the church fete she's holding here next month so I shan't be able to go along with you."

"Very good Sir," said Edward. "Your breakfast will be ready in the dining room in 1 hour. Would you like tea or coffee?"

"Oh leave it up to you as usual, heavens Edward what would I ever do without you....?"

Later that afternoon Montie was to be found in deep conversation with Lady Entwhistle and Colonel Pickering carefully explaining the intricacies of the contoured flower beds that would have to be fenced off well beforehand, when suddenly Lady Entwhistle's eyes closed and for no apparent reason she sat down.

"Montie quick the smelling salts they're in her bag," said the Colonel wheezing frightfully his face rapidly going purple. "This often happens dammit..."

"Dash it all she's sitting on the wretched thing," said Montie now in a terrible panic realising that Edward had still not got back. "You take the left leg and I'll take the right. Now pull....!" a sweet aroma of perfume suddenly assailing their noses at the same time as the bag spilled open.

"Good God the old girl's a real quiet one, I never knew she was into this sort of young fashion caper thing at all," said the Colonel in amazement. "Gad she's certainly got deuced good taste though" he chortled happily shoving his bright red nose into the bag and taking long deep sniffs. "That's strange it smells of mothballs. What do you make of that Montie ? Montie....?"

"What on earth is your nose doing in my bag Colonel?" exclaimed Lady Entwhistle slowly coming to.

Suddenly hearing strangled sounds behind him the Colonel turned and saw Montie sitting wide eyed, mouth open his head shaking frantically from side to side. Still down on his hands and knees the Colonel painfully managed to twist round still further so as to follow Montie's gaze and immediately saw a long pair of very shapely legs on high heels hurrying into view.

"Might I be of assistance your Lordship ?" a sweet girl's voice murmured quietly as a vision of the most perfect female loveliness dressed in a French maid's frilly white outfit suddenly appeared in front of them.

"Ohhhhhhhh...." said Lady Entwhistle and promptly fainted again. Quickly the lovely long haired blonde picked up the smelling salts and bending down began waving them gently back and forth under the poor unconscious woman's nose.

"What on earth....?" spluttered the Colonel his view now blocked by the sight of two huge barely covered breasts swaying back and forth within inches of his face.

"D...d..d..don't mean to be rude my dear and thank goodness someone's here" Montie finally managed to squeak, "but w...w...would you mind telling me who you are?"

"Of course your Lordship" the girl said calmly "my name is Priscilla and I've been sent by your Grandmother's agency as your new temporary domestic help. Ah! Excellent I'm glad to see her Ladyship is starting to recover again. Would you like tea or coffee Madam" she said helping her up and steering her towards a large trolley piled high with biscuits and cakes beside her.

"B...but where is Edward?" stammered Montie now completely at a loss.

"Please do not worry your Lordship. He asked me to tell you just before I left that there are still several more formalities with the agency to tidy up first but will be home as soon as possible. Here" she said handing him a large white thick envelope "is the agency's formal letter of appointment signed as you will see by both your grandmother the director of the agency and Mr. Edward himself. I trust you will find all is in order....?

Jess Reynolds

Closed Account
Somewhere in Rural England - June 1928

Chapter 1

"I say Edward," Lord Montgomery Carruthers mumbled sleepily as Edward started pulling back the bedroom curtains, "have we had any replies to our advert we placed ages ago for a domestic lady to replace our dear old Mrs. Hagerty?"

"I'm afraid not Sir," said Edward, outwardly as impeturbable as ever. "Would you like me to enquire further, Sir?"

"Well actually old bean not just yet as I've since had a jolly good and much better idea," said Montie slowly sitting up. "I was leaving Westbury Library a couple of days ago when I noticed a new domestic hire agency had just opened next door so decided on the spot to pop in to see what they had to offer. Must say I was completely surprised when I discovered funny old Granny Witherspoon behind the front desk as she's always been into all sorts of odd things in the past like giving me birthday presents of my old clothes, or trying to marry me off to some woman older than she is. Still she soon recognised me giving me an awfully nice welcome and generally was very helpful indeed."

"Told her what we were looking for" he continued "to which she replied that unfortunately it was very hard to find good female domestics these days, but did suggest that as I already had an excellent butler why not get him to pop in then she could discuss my requirements with him in detail and more carefully. Something or other about getting a very nice girl immediately and two for the price of one which all lost me completely, way above my head y'know, adding she could guarantee a very satisfactory solution which would cost me nothing just payment on results. Have you ever heard of the agency?"

"I'm afraid I haven't, Sir," replied Edward thoughtfully as he started running the bath.

"Never mind think you can handle it all then old chap?" enquired Montie taking a long sip of hot tea and a large bite of hot buttered toast.

"Of course Sir," replied Edward.

"Must say it all sounded awfully good to me and dashed clever all round, so I immediately signed goodness knows how many silly forms and said you'd drop by this afternoon to finalise everything" mumbled Montie his mouth now full.

"Was that wise Sir do you think?" Edward said slowly.

"Oh good heavens yes, I've always had a soft spot for dear old Grannie Witherspoon mainstay of the family and all that y'know," said Montie cheerfully whilst exploring his chest absentmindedly for any more crumbs. "Now would you be a good fellow and sort it all out with her this afternoon. Take the Bentley as I've got to meet Lady Entwhistle and Colonel Pickering later on about the church fete she's holding here next month so I shan't be able to go along with you."

"Very good Sir," said Edward. "Your breakfast will be ready in the dining room in 1 hour. Would you like tea or coffee?"

"Oh leave it up to you as usual, heavens Edward what would I ever do without you....?"

Later that afternoon Montie was to be found in deep conversation with Lady Entwhistle and Colonel Pickering carefully explaining the intricacies of the contoured flower beds that would have to be fenced off well beforehand, when suddenly Lady Entwhistle's eyes closed and for no apparent reason she sat down.

"Montie quick the smelling salts they're in her bag," said the Colonel wheezing frightfully his face rapidly going purple. "This often happens dammit..."

"Dash it all she's sitting on the wretched thing," said Montie now in a terrible panic realising that Edward had still not got back. "You take the left leg and I'll take the right. Now pull....!" a sweet aroma of perfume suddenly assailing their noses at the same time as the bag spilled open.

"Good God the old girl's a real quiet one, I never knew she was into this sort of young fashion caper thing at all," said the Colonel in amazement. "Gad she's certainly got deuced good taste though" he chortled happily shoving his bright red nose into the bag and taking long deep sniffs. "That's strange it smells of mothballs. What do you make of that Montie ? Montie....?"

"What on earth is your nose doing in my bag Colonel?" exclaimed Lady Entwhistle slowly coming to.

Suddenly hearing strangled sounds behind him the Colonel turned and saw Montie sitting wide eyed, mouth open his head shaking frantically from side to side. Still down on his hands and knees the Colonel painfully managed to twist round still further so as to follow Montie's gaze and immediately saw a long pair of very shapely legs on high heels hurrying into view.

"Might I be of assistance your Lordship ?" a sweet girl's voice murmured quietly as a vision of the most perfect female loveliness dressed in a French maid's frilly white outfit suddenly appeared in front of them.

"Ohhhhhhhh...." said Lady Entwhistle and promptly fainted again. Quickly the lovely long haired blonde picked up the smelling salts and bending down began waving them gently back and forth under the poor unconscious woman's nose.

"What on earth....?" spluttered the Colonel his view now blocked by the sight of two huge barely covered breasts swaying back and forth within inches of his face.

"D...d..d..don't mean to be rude my dear and thank goodness someone's here" Montie finally managed to squeak, "but w...w...would you mind telling me who you are?"

"Of course your Lordship" the girl said calmly "my name is Priscilla and I've been sent by your Grandmother's agency as your new temporary domestic help. Ah! Excellent I'm glad to see her Ladyship is starting to recover again. Would you like tea or coffee Madam" she said helping her up and steering her towards a large trolley piled high with biscuits and cakes beside her.

"B...but where is Edward?" stammered Montie now completely at a loss.

"Please do not worry your Lordship. He asked me to tell you just before I left that there are still several more formalities with the agency to tidy up first but will be home as soon as possible. Here" she said handing him a large white thick envelope "is the agency's formal letter of appointment signed as you will see by both your grandmother the director of the agency and Mr. Edward himself. I trust you will find all is in order....?

Jess Reynolds

Closed Account
Hi again not heard back from the publishers so rather than wasting any more time here's the final chapter....:)

Montie and Edward Part II

Chapter 2

Somewhere in Rural England - July 1928

Now that Colonel Pickering and Lady Entwhistle's overall plans for Witherspoon Hall's week long fete celebrating the 500th anniversary of the consecration of the estate's private chapel in 1428 had at last been agreed, luckily well before the stunning and momentous arrival of Priscilla the day before and even though it was barely 8am, preparations in anticipation of the several hundred important invited county guests due in three week's time, including the Lord Lieutenant of the county and his family, were already in full swing and getting very busy indeed.

Luckily the forecast for the rest of July had sounded fine, so several large marquees and smaller tents were already in the process of being unpacked and assembled on all the main front, side and back lawns as well as in several neighbouring fields. Estate workers and gardeners were hard at work in the numerous fruit orchards and kitchen gardens; many local ladies from the estate's village and outside charities were in the glasshouses preparing for the fruit and flower shows; Colonel Pickering was busy supervising all the cattle and sheep pens being erected for the agricultural shows and sheepdog trials; workmen were hard at work emptying out the swimming pool and cleaning the weathered old grey stone facades of Witherspoon Hall that had been in the family for well over 500 years; the local bishop and several senior members of the local clergy were carefully preparing the week long morning and evening services in the estate's private chapel, whilst Lady Entwhistle's two daughters were busy organising a small army of maids and valets to clean and freshen up the Hall's 6 main suites and 53 bedrooms.

However Lady Entwhistle, although still in bed and not as yet quite herself, was by now awake and fretting that she should already be in the kitchens going through the main menus for each day of the week with the three specially hired head chefs, two from a top Paris hotel and one from the world famous Savoy Hotel in London.

"I m...must say m'dear it was awfully decent of you to come so quickly yesterday" said Lord Montgomery Carruthers nervously sipping his tea whilst glancing as often as possible at all the bustling activity outside, anything to keep his eyes from straying too often towards Priscilla's assets and wondering just how much longer her French maid's lacy black halter could possibly take the strain.

"Not at all Sir" she replied brightly bending over quickly and placing several large slices of toast, butter and a tray of jam conserves in front of him causing her lovely perfume to sweep over him in dizzying waves "Is there anything else you require Sir?"

"......oh yes umm....there is one small thing if you could possibly help" said Montie suddenly wide awake and alert as the most amazing and splendid idea he was sure he'd ever thought of had just occurred to him.

"I was just thinking m'dear" said Montie happily accepting that he was rapidly falling in love and that there was nothing he could do or ever wanted to do about it, though always uncomfortably aware of Granny's sharp tongue and unpredictable temper if things ever were to go wrong, "that because Edward's had to stay overnight at Granny's as he still needs to hire quite a few more staff for the fete, I really must do my duty and go upstairs with a member of the household staff to see if Lady Entwhistle is awake and well enough to come down for a spot of breakfast. Could you possibly help?"

"I say Priscilla m'love" interrupted the Colonel having just recognised Montie's increasingly amorous reactions and winking slyly at him "Must confess I'd love another portion of your preserved strawberry jam up there, did you make it yourself eh what ....?"

"No I didn't, but thank you Sir. I understand it's always made by Granny herself as it comes under the Agency's special range of services" she replied walking over to an old Welsh china dresser, then standing on tiptoe reached up to the top shelf where there were several other jars of fruit conserves as well. Both men suddenly caught their breath as Priscilla's short black skirt slowly began riding higher and higher up her right thigh until the top of her fishnet stocking and the lowest part of her curvaceous backside came into view.

"I do apologise Sir," replied Priscilla her back still turned, "I was just about to enquire after Lady Entwhistle's health as well. Perhaps it would be advisable for you to take a first aid box along with you just in case she has need of anything."

"Oh...ah....ummm....yes of course how dashed silly of me to forget !" an increasingly nervous Montie replied. "An excellent idea of course. It's kept upstairs so if you'd like to come with me now I'll give it to you as I'm sure she must be wondering what's happening" he said immediately getting up as he was only too glad to get away from the Colonel's constant lecherous winks and grins.

As they entered the main hall Montie whilst now in a sudden buoyant and extremely cheerful mood, realising he must quickly learn to hide his increasingly strong feelings in public towards Priscilla especially with so many important guests due, began to describe the history of the house to her but to his dismay she barely responded, so that by the time they were halfway up the very old mahogany spiral staircase on the way to Lady Entwhistle's suite all conversation had dried up completely. He was sure this must be because of that mysterious woman's intuition thing he'd occasionally heard of that must have made her only too aware of both men's recent inexcusable behaviour in the breakfast room, and was probably thinking at that very moment of writing a damning report about him back to Granny just as soon as she had a free moment.

Unfortunately it was when they reached the landing just before turning down a long wooden corridor to Lady Entwhistle's suite at the far end, there being a small narrow wooden staircase to the right leading upstairs into the household staff's quarters and Priscilla's room, that Montie suddenly remembered that all the old first aid boxes in the main house had just been thrown away to be replaced with new ones but which had still not arrived yet. Stopping in his tracks he wretchedly exclaimed "Oh dash it all m'dear I really must apologise yet again, but all the old first aid boxes have just been thrown away to be replaced with new ones but unfortunately I've no idea if there are any more left anywhere !"

""Shhhh please be quiet Sir" Priscilla whispered painfully aware of a couple of young maids in the Hall below giggling up at them "but could I point out that I simply cannot enter Lady Entwhistle's room dressed as I am after what happened yesterday anyway. Could I please have a moment to quickly pop upstairs and change into something a little more appropriate first?"

"Oh my goodness yes of course please forgive me !!" whispered Montie, quickly turning round his face going bright red in embarrassment when he saw the maids below were still giggling helplessly "I simply can't think what came over me ! I do apologise yet again m'dear what on earth must you think of me now" he sighed abjectedly his shoulders starting to droop. "Nothing personal of course m'dear but afraid it's in frightful situations like this that I really do miss Edward awfully."

Suddenly Lady Entwhistle's door opened at the far end of the wooden corridor....

"Oh my God no !! gasped Montie....

"Quick Sir into here...." whispered Priscilla and quickly opening a small door pushed Montie in closing the door behind her just in time, only to immediately bump into him.

"I say very well done indeed Priscilla, good thinking but afraid I can't move as my back's against a wall ! Where on earth are we?" whispered Montie in total darkness unable to believe that Priscilla's large assets were now pressing hard into his chest, her long hair tickling his face frightfully as well.

"Shhh Sir please keep still ! We're in a broom cupboard" whispered Priscilla her sweet voice just inches from him, when they suddenly heard heavy footsteps approaching.

"Ummm m'dear" whispered Montie his senses now so overwhelmed by her nearness that he was hardly able to breathe "I do most frightfully apologise at putting you in yet another difficult and compromising position. I really don't know what to say or do other than to offer my sincere apologies", wishing desperately that he could take her into his arms and kiss her deeply instead. Because he now knew that this was the woman, even after such a short time, that he already loved more than anyone he had ever met and that without doubt the one he fervently hoped he would be able to marry one day.

On the other hand he thought frantically, if they were caught what on earth would it look like to all the important guests due to arrive, what would it look like to the world, worst of all to the Press if he was discovered furtively hiding in a broom cupboard. Perhaps by no less than Lady Enthwhistle herself, together with the latest female member of his household staff who hadn't even been on the premises for more than 24 hours. Especially with Priscilla still most scandalously dressed in her original French maid's outfit.

Suddenly there was a loud click....

Jess Reynolds

Closed Account
"My God what was that !" whispered Montie horrified.

"I locked the door Sir just in case", whispered Priscilla her body suddenly tensing against Montie's as the approaching footsteps suddenly stopped outside the door, the wooden floor boards creaking loudly as someone's weight shifted around.

Both held their breath….

Suddenly the old brass door knob rattled noisily, Montie almost suffering a split personality as Priscilla's huge assets mashed hard into his chest mingling with the terrifying prospect of being discovered.

The heat in the cupboard was getting stifling. Again the door knob rattled and then another long silence....

"Who's in there?" boomed Lady Entwhistle.

Montie's hand scrabbled frantically for Priscilla's and squeezed it hard....

"Must find Montie as soon as possible, damned sure there's someone in there" she boomed again. After a few moments the floor boards slowly quietened and the sound of her heavy footsteps gradually faded away until all was silent once more.

Hoping she really had gone away Montie whispered "Do you think it's safe to leave yet?" as he was beginning to desperately wonder how much longer he could hold out before he took her into his arms risking losing her for ever.

"Please wait Sir, I'll put my ear to the door." She whispered her hair brushing across his face as with some difficulty she started to turn around. My God thought Montie breathing in as hard as he could, I don't think I can take much more of this....

"I can't hear anything Sir" she whispered and slowly unlocked the door. There wasn't a sound. She turned the door knob slowly and as daylight crept in her face became clearly visible as she quickly looked up and down the corridor.

"All clear Sir come out ! Quickly !" she whispered at the same time pulling the key out of the lock and locking the door from the outside. Then holding the key tightly in one hand and Montie's in the other they ran up the narrow staircase and finally into to her small room.

"My God how can I ever thank you my dear ! You were absolutely wonderful !" Montie exclaimed and sighing with relief leaned back against the door to wipe his brow. "Of course we absolutely must keep this awkward little episode entirely to ourselves for ever, and innocent as it all was I dread to think what might have happened if she had discovered us" he added dreading even more what Granny might have done when she found out later on.

Then without realising what he was doing he gently lifted the back of her right hand to his lips and kissing it tenderly quietly murmured "thank you from the bottom of my heart my dear.... I shall forever be in your debt."

"I quite understand Sir, I think it best we say nothing too" she murmured blushing furiously.

"Worst of all" sighed Montie sadly "I've no idea how I am ever going to explain what's happened to Edward my greatest friend at all as I doubt even he will ever understand...."

"Edward !! Oh my goodness Sir I'd completely forgotten about him ! I wonder why as it's so unlike me to.... ?" she gasped her hands flying to her mouth, her eyes wide "We have to think of something quickly...."

There was a moment's silence as they stared at each other...

For a brief second her eyes closed, frowning as if in deep concentration then with a sudden tinkling laugh as if she'd just heard some really funny joke she suddenly opened them, her eyes now twinkling merrily. Then sweeping her long blonde hair back over her shoulders she walked slowly and seductively over to a by now completely thunderstruck Montie.

Stopping in front of him and putting her arms gently round his neck she looked adoringly up into his eyes, kissing him with so much fierce pent up passion it even surprised herself as if it had somehow been mysteriously buried somewhere for far too long.

"Though you never knew it Montie my dearest Edward had always admired you very deeply and always will, and although you might not always have been the brightest you will always definitely be the finest of all. Because I now love you for who and what you are my dear, not for what you have."

Then albeit very reluctantly she gently began pushing a completely bewildered, still uncomprehending but now hopelessly love struck Montie towards the door.

"Edward ? What....is that....can this really be you ?" stuttered Montie in a haze so dense he hardly dare believe what might lie ahead.

"Indeed it is Sir" she said laughing happily, "though you must understand of course that it must forever remain our closest secret and never ever mentioned again ! So do not worry yourself my dearest as I will explain everything to you once I am out of this quite ridiculous outfit later this afternoon. Until then would you like your midmorning coffee and "The Times" a little later today, shall we say 11.45 instead of 11.15 in your private study as usual...."?

Epilogue

Quite invisible throughout all this high drama Grannie in one corner of the high ceiling above them gasped a huge sigh of relief the moment the door closed, chuckling merrily at the thought of telling all her ancestors what had happened and who would be just as thrilled as she was over their beloved ancestral home's permanent future.

At last to be securely placed into the safest of all female hands possible, never having to ever face again the dreaded risk that it could all fall into the hands of her scheming younger sister's spendthrift brats for ever.

The End