• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Happy to be Here! - Writer/Editor

Hey guys and gals,

As my username suggests (hah!) my name is Dustin Bilyk, and I'm from Saskatoon, Canada. Been writing since the age of five, wrote my first "novel" at the age of eight, and I like to think my writing has improved to a point where it's both readable and enjoyable for genre fiction enthusiasts.

I have a particular love of Fantasy and crime fiction, and my writing reflects that. I published Part One of an epic fantasy back in 2014 with a small press, but have since pulled the book off the shelves due to my publishing house closing (and me subsequently receiving the rights to my book back). It was a pretty neat high-fantasy tale about a Librarian Gladiator, and received varying feedback from readers. I was extremely proud of my work at the time, but, like most writers, I look back on that work and cringe a little. It had all the makings of a truly epic tale, but I feel like I failed in delivery and, furthermore, failed on getting out Book 2 in time to capitalize on my early success. You can see the reviews here if you'd like! Tournament of Hearts by Dustin Bilyk

Today, I perform a daily writing practice, and I'm about 50% through my low fantasy novel about a traveling brigand of magical, thieving gypsies making their way through a war-torn world. It's a story about Family, Love and Betrayal, and it's something I am so excited to share with people once I become a full-fledged member of the Mythic Scribes community.

I also work as a full-time editor with my company the Author's Hand, so, as you can imagine, my life is writing, and I hope to be an asset with this community, performing free-of-charge assessments and perhaps receiving the same in recompense.

Thanks so much! And if anyone would like to reach out to this forum newbie, I would be more than happy to start a conversation around Fantasy, writing or anything else! See you all around :)

Dustin

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well-met DustinBilyk
Good to have you here.
Librarian Gladiator?
Must be the same Libraries I go to :LOL:
Some of those stacks are dangerous.
This is a great place to learn and share.
Leap on in.

Thanks Joe! Very happy to be here. It looks like this community is pretty active :)

Yeahhhh Librarian Gladiator, though my librarian was fighting Jagisado (humanoid gargoyles) instead of giant stacks of books or giant windmills ^^ haha!

Always learning, love sharing, and damn right I'll leap on in. Thanks again for the welcome :)

Welcome Dustin!

First, congratulations on your previous print success. I can say that I have never heard the two words, Librarian Gladiator, put together before and that alone is an achievement in Fantasy! :) I've known a few librarians over the course of my years that would likely qualify for the title. It makes me smile to think of them as such now.

Welcome to the Scribes and I hope the site will provide you with all you seek and more.

Thanks Maker of Things Not Kings! What I may have achieved in originality I failed in delivery (by my standards today), but I'll take the compliment and run with it :) I did find some success in print, yes - about 5,000 copies sold, which, for this extremely small press, was akin to a worldwide bestseller hahaha

But I've set my sights much higher in recent years. I'm hoping to be one of the lucky few to break through into the larger presses, and I would love so much to see others in this community share and strive for that ultimate goal, and to share their experience! I work with authors in my day job, and nothing makes me happier than to see them find success, because it gives me a small candle flicker of hope that I may someday find that same success.

Much love and, once again, very happy to be here. I've been nerding out reading the forums top to bottom, and hopefully I'll have some small bits of wisdom, insight and laughter to share as I get to know everyone <3