• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How do you feel about the Hobbit being in 3D?

How do you feel about The Hobbit being in 3D?

• I love 3D, and can't wait to see it in this format

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • I'm not sold on 3D, but I trust Sir Peter Jackson to do it right

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • I'm tired of the push for 3D films, and plan to see this one in two dimensions

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • I don't care either way

Votes: 8 16.3%

• Total voters

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Would you care to elucidate on that?

The OP asked for my feeling on it :)

I don't like 3D movies. I don't like wearing the glasses, and I don't think the 3D effects are worth wearing them for. I also don't like the surcharge to sit and wear 3D glasses and watch a 3D movie when I prefer the 2D version.

Personal preference, basically.

The OP asked for my feeling on it :)

I don't like 3D movies. I don't like wearing the glasses, and I don't think the 3D effects are worth wearing them for. I also don't like the surcharge to sit and wear 3D glasses and watch a 3D movie when I prefer the 2D version.

Personal preference, basically.

And for extra annoyance, try watching the movie with your 3D glasses on top of your regular glasses.

drkpyn

Scribe
Anyone calling 3D a fad or gimmick is just not thinking logically. Technology advances don't happen overnight. Right now 3D requires uncomfortable glasses and makes some people sick, but every dollar paid for a 3D movie is going to encourage future improvements in the quality. Eventually we will watch TV and movies in full virtual reality as if we were actually there, but that takes time and a cause for investment.

But then again many military personnel of the early 20th century thought the tank was a gimmick that would never catch on, and that seemed to work out pretty well for them.

Anyone calling 3D a fad or gimmick is just not thinking logically. Technology advances don't happen overnight. Right now 3D requires uncomfortable glasses and makes some people sick, but every dollar paid for a 3D movie is going to encourage future improvements in the quality. Eventually we will watch TV and movies in full virtual reality as if we were actually there, but that takes time and a cause for investment.

Maybe we will. Maybe we won't. Claiming to be able to predict the future of the technology in either direction is a fool's errand.

But then again many military personnel of the early 20th century thought the tank was a gimmick that would never catch on, and that seemed to work out pretty well for them.

Just because people in the past have said that some technology wouldn't work, and it later worked great, doesn't mean that a completely different, unrelated technology will work just because different people say it won't work. Or, as someone way smarter than me put it:

"The fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." – Carl Sagan

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Maybe we will. Maybe we won't. Claiming to be able to predict the future of the technology in either direction is a fool's errand.

There are signs that the technology is moving away from glasses and towards something that might be suitable to a more comfortable environment. I've never used it, but the Nintendo 3DS, for instance, works without glasses and has the 3D technology on a slider that can be turned off. It's supposedly a different kind of 3D technology than what we see in the movies. I don't know if that's something that can be escalated to a larger screen, but there are already 3D television sets which use glasses.

I'm mostly not a fan of 3D technology, but the fact that it can be turned off in the 3DS makes me think it will eventually catch on in the household. I wouldn't say that with any certainty though.

Microsoft teases transparent 3D desktop interface - Neowin.net

Inching closer every day. I'm already excited to have one of these at my house!

You can keep it, looks very uncomfortable having to reach behind the screen like that, and transparent displays would be a major cause of eye strain too.

My son has the Nintendo 3DS by the way, he usually has the 3D turned off because its very hard on the eyes and gives you headaches!

There is a long way to go before 3D screens become even remotely worth watching. I'll wait until they do, rather than be a guinea pig for the current generation of 3D technology.

Ivan

Minstrel
I think Jackson's treatment of LotR could have used 3D to good effect, but the only thing that it would possibly be good for in the Hobbit is showing Smaug at the end swooping down and barbecuing the town on the lake. Maybe that's the intent, to save it for a spectacular finish. Still, I'd hate to sit through the entire movie with some stupid glasses on and only use them for the ending. I'll be passing on the extra dimension.

Last edited:
F

Faolan

Only time will tell if the 3-D effect will enhance an already great story.

edd

Scribe
no seen many 3d films except when i was in hong kong. They went and turned subtitles into 3D and that was really off putting, why an earth did they do that....

no seen many 3d films except when i was in hong kong. They went and turned subtitles into 3D and that was really off putting, why an earth did they do that....
now that would be a major problem for me, I'm hard of hearing and rely on subtitles heavily. Making them 3D would create a huge barrier to being able to enjoy the film - floating words? no thank you.

Martinus

Scribe
Like a lot of people, I will be sticking to the 2D version. 3D films are a fad that come and go, and it really does little to improve a story. Until they have holodecks, the third dimension is not really viable in cinema.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
I don't really care for 3D. In some cases, depending on where I sit, it can make me a bit sick.

I'll be seeing it in 2D if I can....

Zophos

Minstrel
I don't mind the 3D, don't think it really takes much away from the movie, but don't really think it adds much.

The only movie I've seen that I thought it added brilliantly enough to make it worth the trouble was Tron Legacy. I imagine Avatar was better in 3D, as well, but I didn't think I'd care for it enough to bother going to the theater for it. I was right.

I can't see there being a significant upgrade to doing the Hobbit in 3D. I'm honestly a little wary of a big screen Hobbit in 2D, but I thought the same of LOTR and that turned out pretty well.

ethgania

Dreamer
...I don't think I've ever seen a movie in 3D in the theaters, simply because of the price differences. It'll probably be the same for The Hobbit as well. As psyched as I am for the movie, I'm excited about it because, well, it's The Hobbit, not because of the screen magic they're trying to pull off.

Butterfly

Auror
I'll never see a movie in 3D... I'm longsighted, and my eyes aren't of equal vision strength, which means I'm 3D blind. I tried once, everything was blue... apart from that wearing the glasses over my own was not very comfy. Beside I'm glad in a way, watching any telly for too long makes me travel sick... it's all this stupid shoddy modern camera work moving in and out, and shaking all about.

...I hate the hokey cokey, always did...

Last edited:

Zophos

Minstrel
I'll never see a movie in 3D... I'm longsighted, and my eyes aren't of equal vision strength, which means I'm 3D blind. I tried once, everything was blue... apart from that wearing the glasses over my own was not very comfy. Beside I'm glad in a way, watching any telly for too long makes me travel sick... it's all this stupid shoddy modern camera work moving in and out, and shaking all about.

...I hate the hokey cokey, always did...

Yeah, my wife's got a stigmatism. Can't see the 3D stuff either.

Worse yet, the old bat won't go get it fixed! :D