• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Any good sources on draconic language?

Lynea

Sage
Hello all,

So, I'm starting research on draconic languages and I wanted to see how many of you have compiled their own lists of resources on it. Are there any solid, go-to books on draconic language? Or is it more like "to each their own"?

I can't find any, but you could research real world languages for it. I suggest researching German, as it sounds harsh and could be a good building point for a dragon language.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
It's not my bag, but there are lots of resources out the on the topic of Conlang-ing...
Something may rock with you...

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Conlang? Constructed Languages. It is an entire sub-world of its own. From Tolkien to Star Trek via Esperanto and BSL [or ASL] there are a lot of highly developed languages.
Have a search for it online and see what leaps out at you.

Lynea

Sage
So far I've found the Draconian Quadrilogy by Micael Kelly. It seems pretty authoritative, but a little shallow as far as the language goes. I think I'll dig around more. There's bound to be more stuff on a wiki or something.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Kelly's books are pure magical mysticism. He really believes that stuff and writes instructional manuals about dragon magic. Not, I think, what you're looking for.

I honestly don't know that you'll find much. Everyone invents dragons according to their own stories. It's not like there's an authoritative version, much less a true one.

Are you trying to make up a language for your dragons?

Lynea

Sage
Kelly's books are pure magical mysticism. He really believes that stuff and writes instructional manuals about dragon magic. Not, I think, what you're looking for.

I suspected as much. Kelly's work doesn't seem to cover a whole lot. I'm not trying to craft my own language because I don't feel the need to reinvent the wheel. There are plenty of worlds that have already developed a draconic language, so I would like to draw from those if I can.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
>There are plenty of worlds that have already developed a draconic language
Really? If you find some, do post here. I'm sure others would be fascinated to find a fully-developed (or even partially-developed!) language of dragons.

I suspected as much. Kelly's work doesn't seem to cover a whole lot. I'm not trying to craft my own language because I don't feel the need to reinvent the wheel. There are plenty of worlds that have already developed a draconic language, so I would like to draw from those if I can.

There is a draconic translator that I like to use and it's pretty good. It has a list of all the draconic words that it has access to as well. I think it pulls from several sources, but I'm not sure. I've put the link to it below. It isn't fully developed either, but I hope it's useful for you.
Draconic Translator

Lynea

Sage
So far, the online translator is working pretty great :) I'll be able to begin construction on my world now, at least.

And for you, Skip, a lot of draconic words have been developed for D&D. I also know that there's a draconic system for The Elder Scrolls/Skyrim (which is basically like D&D), but it's more for gameplay and spells versus cultural language. As far as cultural draconic, I really don't know of any resources.