• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Blood Sausage and Viruses

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
So... Odd question time.

I was wondering if human bloodborne diseases would be able to withstand the processes of cooking and drying required to make blood sausage. I tried to find an answer for Hepatitis specifically, but I couldn't find a clear answer. I don't believe the cooking temperatures would get high enough to destroy these viruses, but the drying should get them right?

Before you ask, this isn't for any established world, I was just idly worldbuilding a group of faux-vampires. I think I could spin this into a one-off short story.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Actually I'd think it might be the other way around. Dehydrating would be relatively ineffective, but cooking [any hotter than Pasteurisation 72° C (162° F)] for a decent time [15 minutes?] should kill off the nasties.
So... Odd question time.
I was wondering if human bloodborne diseases would be able to withstand the processes of cooking and drying required to make blood sausage. I tried to find an answer for Hepatitis specifically, but I couldn't find a clear answer. I don't believe the cooking temperatures would get high enough to destroy these viruses, but the drying should get them right?
Before you ask, this isn't for any established world, I was just idly worldbuilding a group of faux-vampires. I think I could spin this into a one-off short story.
We believe you... No really we do...:whistle:

Reactions: Ban

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Actually I'd think it might be the other way around. Dehydrating would be relatively ineffective, but cooking [any hotter than Pasteurisation 72° C (162° F)] for a decent time [15 minutes?] should kill off the nasties.

We believe you... No really we do...:whistle:

Looked it up again, hepatitis seems to die at about 85C, but that's only 1 minute. HIV dies at anything above body temperature from what I found, so I think you're right Joe, the heat should do the job. For some reason I thought these viruses would be able to withstand higher heats.

Thanks, time to find some morsels... *Cough* time to write a short story ;)