• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Your Top 10 Favorite Shows Of All Time?

Ravana

Istar
rose slightly when Paul McGann did the TV movie

Hallelujah! Someone else who liked McGann! For some reason, most fans think he was the "worst" Doctor (puh-leeze: didn't they ever see Colin Baker?). I was really hoping they'd pick the series back up with him; I thought he would have been great. Interestingly, he's the answer to the trivia question "Who has held the role of the Doctor the longest?"–though, admittedly, for much of that time he wasn't doing production roles (then again, second place goes to McCoy, whose "tenure" included the time from the cancellation of the first series up to McGann). On the other hand, even many Whovians are aware only of McGann's TV movie appearance… and not the 24 BBC Radio stories he did.

Can't say I miss the bubble wrap, though.… :rolleyes: :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Worldbuilder

Dreamer
I'm a pretty fickle tv watcher and almost always stop watching shows before they end, so my list of favorite shows looks something like this:

Currently watching: The Vampire Diaries, Hawaii Five-0, Burn Notice, White Collar, The Daily Show With Jon Stewart

Quality of writing deteriorated so I eventually stopped watching (or wish I had) but still remember earlier seasons as wonderful: The West Wing, Battlestar Galactica, Supernatural, Criminal Minds, Queer as Folk, Bones, Friday Night Lights

Love/hate relationship: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Merlin

I also have to put in a good word for Avatar: The Last Airbender. It may be a little juvenile at times, but it's probably the single most consistently high quality show I've listed. There is something to be said for starting with a plan and sticking to it come hell or high water! I think the main problem with the many shows I loved once but eventually stopped watching is that they start to collapse under the weight of their own mythology after awhile (or, in the case of the procedurals, they just start running out of good ideas). The Avatar writers planned three seasons and wrote three seasons - they didn't get greedy when the show was popular and try to drag the story out to fill up five, and they didn't let the network do it either.

Last edited:

Kelise

Maester
Hallelujah! Someone else who liked McGann!

McGann is my second favourite Doctor, after 8th <3 His audioplays are fantastic. The Chimes of Midnight is so lovely to listen to, and Storm Warning and Stones of Venice aren't too far behind. Guh. I need more.

Ophiucha

Auror
TV Shows? Damn, I don't watch much TV.

1) Quite Interesting (QI) with Stephen Fry
2) Avatar: The Last Airbender
3) Gargoyles
4) Firefly
5) Fullmetal Alchemist
6) Trigun
7) Iron Chef (JP)
8) Wishbones
9) The Young Ones
10) Harsh Realm

Two short-lived science fiction shows, two cartoons, two anime series, two British shows, a Japanese cooking show, and a kids show about a dog who reenacts classical literature. Deal with it. :cool: Honorable mentions: Manimal, Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe, Darkwing Duck.

I was really hoping they'd pick the series back up with him; I thought he would have been great.
I'd have preferred him to the choices they made: Ecclestone, Tennant et al. Oh well. He's still a legend. The fact that he was in Withnail & I confirms that. And if I ever get annoyed with the TV show I can always hear him playing the Doc on my DAB set. Hooray for radio drama!:)

zdaddy

Acolyte
I was tempted to make the list:

1: Babylon 5
2: everything else

But I realized that wasn't actually fair (or true), so I revised it to:

THIS.

Babylon 5 was such an incredible concept and story that most other things pale in comparison. (I own zathras.com and named my dog Zathras).

Anyway, to round out the list I'd put in

V
Dollhouse
Terminator Sarah Connor Chronicles
STTNG
Alias
Xfiles
Pawn Stars
Reno 911

Ravana

Istar
I'd have preferred him to the choices they made

I probably would have, too, especially at the time, since he was far more in the mold of the earlier Doctors than his successors have been. I liked Eccleston, though (and wish they'd used him a bit longer), got used to Tennant, and am getting used to Smith. Though if they make the next one any younger, he's gonna be in diapers. :rolleyes:

On the flip side, Amy Pond (Gillan) is probably the best companion since… uhm… I'm not actually sure there has been anyone better. Hard to choose between her, Jo (my previous personal favorite), Sarah Jane, and Rose; the great thing about Amy is that she combines all the best aspects of Liz Shaw, Jo and Ace. Not to mention she's the first one to actually try to roll him on screen.…

While Doctor Who has never particularly looked toward "star power," I did fantasize for a time, before they brought the series back, as to who I'd choose if I could resurrect the series myself. (Which, fortunately, the BBC did not wait for me to do.… :p ) Try this on for size–go with a more mature (okay, "old") but highly charismatic and urbane actor for the restart: Christopher Plummer. Run him for a couple years until the series gets going again, then replace him with a somewhat younger face who's probably about as "alien" as you're going to find on this planet: David Bowie. Think that would've worked out okay? :cool:

@starconstant: McGann was the eighth doctor, at least by canonical count. (I'm assuming you aren't including Cushing… those were just Hartnell re-runs anyway.) Which one were you thinking?

Last edited by a moderator:

zdaddy

Acolyte
And the "z" in your nick stands for… Zaphod, right?

Hope at least that your dog occasionally gets to have something nice.… ;)

hmmm. not familiar with 'zaphod'.
My daughter goes by 'z' and the dog sometimes goes by 'z'... so zdaddy seems appropriate.

LMMFAO I dunno where to start with this cause all my favorite shows are pretty old and most aren't on anymore x.x

ANYTHING ANIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Absolutely Fabulous (OMG I worshipped this show when it was on PBS when I was little LOL)
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Charmed
Supernatural
Grey's Anatomy
South Park
Wizards of Waverly Place
Good luck Charlie
Shake it up >.>

I'm a kid at heart lemme alone x.x

TWErvin2

Auror
Off the top of my head:

Babylon 5
Stargate SG1
FireFly
Married with Children
Burn Notice
Highlander
The Rockford Files
Adventures of Brisco County Jr.
Red Green
Star Trek

Once again reviving an old thread (beginning to see it as a personal crusade ;)). My tastes with tv shows change pretty frequently. A couple years ago I watched a lot of cop shows, before that a lot of Fresh Prince and That 70's show (my brother recorded every episode of both, we know the lines by heart) and I still love those shows. Now, my list probably includes a lot more sitcoms than most of you.

No order:
How I Met Your Mother- great writing, great characters, but you really need to watch the early episodes first. Lot of running jokes.
The Office (not new episodes as much but love the Steve Carrell ones)-never watched the Ricky Gervais one
Supernatural (I've watched all the re-runs which play on TNT, not the new ones)
Entourage (ending sucked)
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Friends- still great
Las Vegas
Kevin Hart- not a show, but I watch his specials every time they're on. Funniest dude ever.
Tosh.0 - though it has gotten a lot worse.
Fresh Prince- nostalgia

I also love Two and a Half Men, or at least the Charlie years. Not as much now.

>>Once again reviving an old thread (beginning to see it as a personal crusade ).<<

Wow! Can't believe it's still going. Occasionally, I still get notifications and I'm always amazed.

Glad to see people are still enjoying it.

Shadoe

Sage
The first two are in order, the rest are interchangable. :)

Firefly
Dexter
Buffy The Vampire Slayer & Angel
Doctor Who (latest incarnation) / Torchwood
Chef!
The Vicar of Dibly
Star Trek - all of them, though not so much with Enterprise
Hercules and Xena

Larkin

Scribe
Off the top of my head, in no particular order apart from the first three (and cheating and including 11):

The Prisoner
Fawlty Towers
Monty Python's Flying Circus
The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr
Due South
Carnivale
Rubicon
Murphy Brown
The Twilight Zone (old-school)
The Young Ones
Nowhere Man

... I really want to see New Zealand's 'This is Not My Life,' given how like The Prisoner it's supposed to be. Has anyone seen it? Is it any good?

Last edited:

hectorchacon69

mine are
1. THE SOPRANOS
2. SEINFELD
3. JERICHO
4. NCIS
5. SUPERNATURAL
6. NYPD BLUE
7. JAG
8. CHEERS
9. BURN NOTICE
10. MARRIED WITH CHILDREN

#1 ) M*A*S*H I own the Martinis and Medicine Collection.
Other than this there is no order.
Charmed
Gilmore Girls
Golden Girls
CSI Miami (Not so much the other ones. There's just something about H. that makes me swoon.)
Angel
BONES
HOUSE
Frasier
Mary Taylor Moore show
I love Lucy
Ounce Upon a Time is fast moving up to a fav spot.
In Plain Sight
NCIS
Rizzoli and Isles

Last edited: