• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Would a Monster Hunter Collect Trophies Like Actual Hunters Do?

ShadeZ

Maester
I was recently at a friends house and their dad is an old hunting mentor of mine. They had recently mounted a pair of antlers from a large stag he was able to get. This made me wonder. Would a monster hunter collect and possibly even use as trophies parts of their prey as well?

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
They would if you want then to. Okay, a whole Dragon head on a wall might be impractical. But maybe a choice shiny scale or tooth.
It would probably make a difference if they were a Sports Hunter rather than doing their day job. A Sports Hunter would probably have the right to take a trophy or even the whole thing. If it is their job, then their employer would probably own the Monster.
It might be a sacred act to kill a monster. In that case, the body could belong to the Priesthood/Church as a sacrament, penitence or tithe of some sort.
But in your world, your rules.

Lynea

Sage
The only reasonable context I can think of is if a hunter feels really proud of the kill. I figure that most monster hunters try to make a living off of it instead of doing it for sport. However, if there was a heroic effort involved or some sort of competition then yes, I think there would be a trophy.

Eduardo Ficaria

Troubadour
As others have already pointed out, its pretty much depending on the hunter's circumstances. Still, I think any seasoned hunter will eventually get some sort of trophy or memento (a fang to make a carved knife or a collar with it), although you'll also have to consider if that would be acceptable in the hunter's culture. Also, you have to think how feasible is for the hunters to carry a certain trophy depending on its dimensions and resources at hand. Obviously, carrying a deer's corpse it's not the same as moving the massive body of a giant fire-breathing dragon. Now, in a fantasy setting you could imagine some kind of magical bag, or even a particular job specialized in dealing with massive monster bodies: some sort of butcher that assist the hunter with those tasks. Finally, don't forget about the honor of doing the kill, because it could imply who gets the best trophy (or any trophy at all) out of the monster's body.

Queshire

Istar
Ooo... you could have fun with this. Heracles wore the Nemean Lion's pelt after he killed it and the sword Kusanagi no Tsurugi was found in the tail of the monstrous Orochi after all. Just imagine a monster hunter organization where all the hunter's gear and weapons are made from trophies taken from defeated monsters.

ShadeZ

Maester
Well there are actually a few separate groups to which the question applies.

Emorii- Which are dragon slayers. They pride themselves on their hunting prowess, they have tattoos made from the blood and scales of their kills, they also collect a scale from every dragon they kill. This comes up as the mc is a sweet friendly guy contrary to his reputation as a warlord and an absolute beast who has more dragon kills than any two members of his race. The human mc asks if his reputation is true and he tosses him a bag full of a "rainbow" of scales ranging in size and color and explains that his race collect a scale everytime they kill a dragon. This is contrasted by everytime they befriend a dragon they also receive a scale. Dragon scales have an immense value as they contain residual magical energy. Ironically a dragon body is usually worth more than their whole horde of treasures. The Emorii have magical silver blood that is the most expensive item in their world as it can cure any illness or wound, prolong life dramatically, enhance ones sensory and fighting abilities. That said unless freely given it is just about impossible to obtain this fluid, however most Emorii will give their blood for free to any who need it or friends who ask.

The second group are the Nature Guard

Nature Guard- Contrary to the Emorii which are a whole race that go back thousands of years and are often a point of absolute terror to humans, the nature guard are a group of ranger which mitigate peace between humans and monsters that live in the forests. They are called "monster hunters" (even though they rarely do) because they are capable of and often do hunt and kill feral monsters when their isnt any alternative. This is a multiracial group led by a Siigra (silver blooded supernatural predatory humanoid, the result of a human and an Emorii having a child usually) named Logan. It isn't uncommon for "troops" to have a dragon or high teir highly intellectual monster (noble beast) among them as well as elves, Mariis (half giants), Mockians (giants), and fae. The above mentioned group emorii/demiduur are also known to join this group on occasion as the emorii are a predatory species by nature that crave a challenging prey. The leader Logan as a Siigra has most of the predatory impulses of his emorii mother Zandria, he will not fight unless the monster in question has killed people or is attacking him but once one of those two requirements is met he is relentless.

The last group are the Jaegers.

Jaegers- Or the Fae Hunters as their known too are a group formed by Queen Eliza to eradicate the human race's number 1 rival the faeries. Jaegers are outlawed now for their incredibly sadistic and evil practices of cutting off captured faerie wings to sell on the magical black market and for experimenting on the fae. Despite being disbanded by the Queen's grandson they still meet in secret. A secondary character named Alter appears in the story who is a former Jaeger. Alter is skilled at trapping, tracking, and killing all matter of magical beings faeries in particular and carries iron weapons (iron prevents fae from using magic or fleeing to their home world). Alter is amid a redemption arc in the books and is hunted by faeries who want revenge. He travels with a group of Emorii, and serves as a bounty hunter of sorts who targets magical raiders and pillagers who the local guard can't fight on their own.

I don’t see why not. Many Eastern Native American tribes had stories of a giant horned serpent with a large gem in his forehead. Many legends recount how killers of this beast kept the gem as a good luck charm of sorts. It makes a lot of sense for someone to keep a trophy from their hunt, especially if that trophy has some deeper magical significance.

I can see it both ways. A monster hunter, born into that role and therefore having something to prove to his clan.
Then there is the monster hunter doing what he does as a means of atonement. Yea, that tortured one wouldn't collect trophies.

Insolent Lad

Maester
I read this question sort of backwards when it appeared, that is, a monster who hunts rather that someone who hunts monsters. Both are 'monster hunters.' :) I imagined a dragon with the mounted heads of knights on his cave walls.

ShadeZ

Maester
I read this question sort of backwards when it appeared, that is, a monster who hunts rather that someone who hunts monsters. Both are 'monster hunters.' :) I imagined a dragon with the mounted heads of knights on his cave walls.
I do actually have a dragon somewhat like that. He lives with a highly predatory species that catch his enemies and bring them to him half alive kind of like a cat bringing its owner a mouse. They on occasion just bring the heads or something like that.