• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Giants

Giants play as the main antagonists in one of my stories. They’re about 7-9 feet tall and extremely strong. They are slow however, and depend on tough armor of bone and leather to make up for their lack of maneuverability. Their strength is matched only by the dark aura about them.

I'm not a hundred percent sure but from what I recall there were giant figures in old Christendom, I forget their name but they were supposed to be the offspring between mortals and angels. I think that's a cool take, considering the expectation that giants are large, dumb humanoids .

That’s actually one theory of what it meant. Some commentators believe the “sons of god” are angels, but others believe that they were the offspring of Seth, with the “daughters of men” being of the line of Cain. If the second theory was correct, they became giants through natural means as opposed to supernatural.

Insolent Lad

Maester
Though I hadn't thought of them as 'giants,' the variety of demons who play a prominent role in my two Wizardry books are giant-ish. Cory, our young wizard's sidekick (though it wouldn't admit to serving in that role), stands about eight foot tall and is fairly humanoid. But not really human at all--more like a giant vegetable. Their home world is pretty much a hothouse, under a red giant sun. They certainly do giant-like things, such as intimidating us puny mortals, when necessary, but would just as soon ignore us unless we get in the way of their sunlight. They are reasonably bright and generally honorable (while sticklers for the letters of their laws) but Cory itself has a criminal background, mostly as a muscle-demon for higher ups.

I have one setting that uses the word "giant" somewhat loosely. They are shape-shifting cloud people that live in the sky.
In some fairy tails, Giants live in a castle in the clouds. I asked, "How does that work?" and came to the conclusion the are also lighter than air.

My giants descend from primordial beings who "devolved" into what they currently are because their link with the primal magic was heavily dampened long ago. They went from nebulous metaphysical sizes, like "as high as a 1000 days trek" (ie. as tall as whoever is beholding it at the time can travel in ~3 years) to averaging around 65 feet. And I recently decided that the magic they have doesn't come from the same magic dimension as everyone else.

Gurkhal

Auror
Seldom if ever, I'm afraid. I have my hands full writing humans and additions of new species is more likely to cause me to drop it on the floor than anything else.