• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What do you think about wildly varying chapter lengths?

I have pretty short chapters already, but this one I’m working on is the shortest yet. It’s an emotional inciting incident and I feel like it should just stand on its own as a whole chapter, but it’s only 1-2 scenes at barely over 1000 words.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
If it works, it works.

My shortest chapter is seven words, and the longest one is over 5k words. Mostly, they range between 1k and 3k words, though.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I don't think it's a big issue. I do find it annoying when there's a chapter that's extra long, but I wouldn't give up a book over it. If the chapters are frequently all over the place in length I suppose it might be a red flag that you have a pacing issue. But like the others have said, if it's what the chapter needs then that's what comes first.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I have chapters that range from under 300 words to well over 10,000 - one in the current WIP hit 11,000. Most of mine, though are in the 2000-3000 word range...at least until the current WIP, where the shortest chapter is 3800 words.

If it does the job it doesn't bother me too much, but I don't like overly long chapters as I don't often have hours to sit and finish one chapter. I need a break and when they go on too long it just knackers my poor brain. That's why chapters exists really, for the reader.

No problem. ( I personally love short chapters and sometimes tend to start skimming when I realize I am in the midst of a 20- 25 page chapter.) I've seen chapters shorter than 1000 word chapters and, as long as they do what they are meant to do and move things forward, that's fine.

You know the pacing of your book best. Don't hold yourself to an arbitrary standard if you find it is a disservice to your work- if lengthening the chapter undermines the emotional impact you are trying to craft, don't do it.

Honestly, I pay almost zero attention to 'chapter lengths' once (or if) I am totally enveloped and engrossed in a book...

The first time I saw a jarringly short chapter (no chapter before or after that in that novel was as short as it was, a mere few paragraphs), I loved the effect it created. I imagine it wouldn't work as well if it was very common, and I wouldn't imagine you could do it more than twice in a novel.
On a superficially related note, first chapters that are short are common in technical nonfiction books. They're usually just introductions.

Helen

Inkling
I have pretty short chapters already, but this one I’m working on is the shortest yet. It’s an emotional inciting incident and I feel like it should just stand on its own as a whole chapter, but it’s only 1-2 scenes at barely over 1000 words.

Same as above, no biggie.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Length in itself is not a measure of quality. The question isn't "is this chapter too short?"

The question, always and ever, is "does this chapter work?"

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
If you just get consistent chapter lengths at 7, you could seta record for book with most chapters. ;)

Why, if I managed that Whispers of Ghosts would’ve been over 35k chapters! That would be a fun answer for “How long is your book?”

If it works, it works.

My shortest chapter is seven words, and the longest one is over 5k words. Mostly, they range between 1k and 3k words, though.

Last edited:

Toby Johnson

Minstrel
I try to keep most of my chapters an average length each, but some of them are longer than others and some are shorter than others.