• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings

I just spent this week watching all 6 films for the first time in years. I saw scenes I didn't remember. I forgot how much I loved these movies. I hope the new series coming to Prime will be good. I will need to watch these again sooner and not wait 5 or 6 years to watch them again.

S J Lee

Inkling
Sorry dude, though I was glad to see fantasy was mainstream, and love the books, and I saw the first movie 3 times in the cinema, the second and third LOTR movies were good in places, but a bit crap in places. Too much video-game-cut-scene with ridiculous huge graphics crammed in everywhere, all the subtlety of the books gone. Never watched the hobbit movies, the silly mass-CGI battle scenes I saw on Youtube made no sense. Just one man's opinion... let's get a poll!

I know some people didn't like them, that's fine, everyone has an opinion. I don't like it when some pompous critic thinks that their opinion is right and if any person liked it, they are just stupid. It's like when someone claims they hated Phantom Menace but watch it with the other Star Wars movies.

Nighty_Knight

Troubadour
Lord of the Rings was fantastic. They did mess up a few parts and went a bit over the top for some parts of the battle scenes, especially Legolas. And how the Battle of Pelennor Fields ending change wasn’t good and a bit of a Dues ex Machina.
The Hobbit movies had potential but had way too much added to them. Someone should do a fan cut and limit it to one 3 hour movie with only stuff from the books really included.

Trauma

Dreamer
Sorry dude, though I was glad to see fantasy was mainstream, and love the books, and I saw the first movie 3 times in the cinema, the second and third LOTR movies were good in places, but a bit crap in places. Too much video-game-cut-scene with ridiculous huge graphics crammed in everywhere, all the subtlety of the books gone. Never watched the hobbit movies, the silly mass-CGI battle scenes I saw on Youtube made no sense. Just one man's opinion... let's get a poll!

That's how I felt with the Hobbit, but still, loved the fun the films provided. But oof I'm sorry you couldn't enjoy it :(