• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

NaNoWriMo 2020

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Well...at this rate, I might actually have the rough draft for 'Empire: Exiles' (seven freaking books? how did that happen?) wrapped up by NaNo time...

I'm tempted to take a break...but then again, there's 'Chameleon,'...

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Well...at this rate, I might actually have the rough draft for 'Empire: Exiles' (seven freaking books? how did that happen?) wrapped up by NaNo time...

I'm tempted to take a break...but then again, there's 'Chameleon,'...
I actually don't react well to breaks, at least not long ones. They steal my momentum, and I write like a slug as it is.

This year I'm finishing the draft of Beneath a Stone Sky: The Third Book of Binding and starting a stand-alone Book of Binding called To Possess a Dragon, which will be a short, light paranormal romance that introduces some characters and concepts for our fourth numbered book, like Seattle exists and stuff.

I'm up for it again. I, more or less by coincidence, just finished the last round of edits on a novella and I'm starting to put together the next novel. And since it's almost november 1st I might as well just try NaNo again to jumpstart the novel.

I'd love to get to 50k words, but my main goal will be to surpass last year, where I managed 31k. Should be doable. Maybe.

I'm not quite sure which story idea to lay down, but I want to do something for NaNo.
If it's story ideas you need, then I've got a whole list full of random story prompts and ideas. I can share a bunch if you want.

If you already have a few in your head, then I would say you should either pick the idea you are most exited by, or try to combine all the different ideas into a single story. I would personally go for the second option. Last year during NaNo I learned that you need an awful lot of stuff to fill a novel (I know, surprising...). And it might just be better to have a lot of ideas, starting out. I only had 1 basic story line last year, and it turned out to be not enough to fill a full novel. The story ended as a 42k word novella. Which I'm still proud of, but it simply wasn't large enough to get to over 50k words.

As for myself, I'm still not sure where to start my story. I know large parts of the plot. But that first scene, the place which kicks it all of is still a mystery to me. Which is different from the previous two pieces I wrote, where the whole thing started with an idea for a first scene. I've still got 8 days to figure it out of course. And if I haven't figured it out by then, I might just start in chapter 3 or 4. But it is a bit annoying...

Lynea

Sage
Thanks for the encouragement Prince of Spires. :) It would be nice to bounce ideas off each other before the craziness happens.

For me there are a few different options: 1. I could finish the book I'm drafting (which will most likely take another 50k words). 2. I could start a book that I've already crafted in my head and just haven't written down. 3. I could explore a fresh new plot that is severely underdeveloped and just see what happens. Either way, I think I'd be excited about it all.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
I've been making excuses for myself to not join, but the Call of the Great Old One known by the name of "NaNo" is alluring.

So, do most of you join the NaNo website or are we containing the NaNo-ing to the forum?

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I've been making excuses for myself to not join, but the Call of the Great Old One known by the name of "NaNo" is alluring.

So, do most of you join the NaNo website or are we containing the NaNo-ing to the forum?
We usually do both. The NaNo website has good forums, and it also allows you to track your word counts and stuff. But we're also Scribes and we're in this together. This thread is for accountability and commiserating and sharing triumphs and rough days.

9 says until NaNo. We can do it!

Reactions: Ban

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
I will have to make sure I figure out how their website and stuff works if multiple people are on it. Might be fun.

SolLilja

Dreamer
I'm doing NaNo. And honestly, I'm terrified! I've only just started writing creatively (write a lot for work, academic). So far I have made half of a novella and half of a short story. So I have no track record for finishing anything, no experience and well, not much of anything really for self-trust.

BUT! I do have an idea and I do have the support of my partner. I have started some outlining and I think it could turn into a decent novel.

I'm mostly afraid I will use my inexperience and beginner-ness as an excuse to not push myself and instead accept defeat when I still have much more to give. So accountability = yes please!

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I'm doing NaNo. And honestly, I'm terrified! I've only just started writing creatively (write a lot for work, academic). So far I have made half of a novella and half of a short story. So I have no track record for finishing anything, no experience and well, not much of anything really for self-trust.

BUT! I do have an idea and I do have the support of my partner. I have started some outlining and I think it could turn into a decent novel.

I'm mostly afraid I will use my inexperience and beginner-ness as an excuse to not push myself and instead accept defeat when I still have much more to give. So accountability = yes please!
You're going to be fine. Begin at the beginning, continue until you get to the end, and then stop. Just worry about writing one word at a time and those words will pile up sooner than you think. In Nano you aren't writing a final draft, you're just barfing words onto the page. After NaNo is the time for perfecting and eating ice cream and then perfecting some more. You can do this.

Ned Marcus

Maester
I'm terrified! I've only just started writing creatively (write a lot for work, academic). So far I have made half of a novella and half of a short story. So I have no track record for finishing anything, no experience and well, not much of anything really for self-trust
Keep going and you'll get there. The feeling of finishing a first novel, even a bad one, is very good. NaNo can give extra motivation. That's my main reason for taking part. If we use this thread too, then even better.

And you don't need to show your novel to anyone yet, so there's no pressure from that point of view.