• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The "Cute" Vampire

ShadeZ

Maester
A vampire that behaves in generally adorable ways, collects blankets, pillows, and plushies, makes "nests", and has a habit of shapeshifting when scared. Could this be passable? Ideas of other things to add to make the character come off cute.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Yeah, that absolutely works. In our urban fantasy series, our vampires aren't undead, they're something different, and the most powerful females can breed, so we have a few baby vampires running around. They're flipping adorable. As of this writing they're 16 months and 13 months, respectively.

Now, I think the question is, is your vampire a child or child-like (physically small, round-faced, etc.), or a grown-@ss adult acting like a baby? One is cute, the other is a bit creepy.

ShadeZ

Maester
Yeah, that absolutely works. In our urban fantasy series, our vampires aren't undead, they're something different, and the most powerful females can breed, so we have a few baby vampires running around. They're flipping adorable. As of this writing they're 16 months and 13 months, respectively.

Now, I think the question is, is your vampire a child or child-like (physically small, round-faced, etc.), or a grown-@ss adult acting like a baby? One is cute, the other is a bit creepy.
Oh my gosh that's adorable. This is a vampire that looks like a 21 year old male however the whole species are known to act in a "cute" manner. It also is a fairly unexpected cute. They seem fierce and their appearance can be alarming but they have numerous unexpectedly "cute" quirks such as this character Raven cant/doesnt sleep unless he is surrounded by soft things pillows pushed blanketsThey are pacifist and usually just put their victims into a deep sleep. Being their other name is dark fae they have large black wings like a raven which they can hide if need be. They are also quite childlike (fae are known to always act childish and naive/innocent). There are baby vampires/dark fae but this character appears as a very unusual adult and is 700 (ish) years old.

Last edited:

Futhark

Inkling
I think that it is a great idea. Human children go through psychological developmental stages for various reasons. A different species, such as your vampires, would have different needs and stages. A 700 year old with some personality traits of a child? Absolutely. They would have to deal with learning, memories, and trauma in their own ways. The obvious thought to me is that being ‘dark fae’, they won’t have the same fears or vulnerabilities of humans.

ShadeZ

Maester
The obvious thought to me is that being ‘dark fae’, they won’t have the same fears or vulnerabilities of humans.
You'd think so but dark fae are more vulnerable ironically. They are hated and feared by many other races. They are the single rarest type of fae due to being hunted by other races or seen as monsters since they feed on the blood of other sentient species to survive.

I think it could work if you have vicious vampires for contrast. Then the reason for the peculiar behavior can add more development to the character. I think a cute trait will be if the character had a 'cute' hobby like gardening or something. Horticulture is endearing, I think.

ShadeZ

Maester
I think it could work if you have vicious vampires for contrast. Then the reason for the peculiar behavior can add more development to the character. I think a cute trait will be if the character had a 'cute' hobby like gardening or something. Horticulture is endearing, I think.
It is more a racial trait. Vampires are a breed of Faerie and faeries tend to be cute in certain regards such as making nest of soft things.