• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

blog NaNoWriMo Milestones List

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Svrtnsse submitted a new blog post:

NaNoWriMo Milestones List
by Nils Ödlund

Achievement-List-475x316.jpg

November is National Novel Writing Month – also known as NaNoWriMo, or just NaNo. It's a writing challenge that takes place during the month of November, and the goal is to write a 50,000 word novel in a month. That's right. An entire novel – Fifty Thousand Words – in one month.

You can read all about it on the NaNoWriMo website, here.

For some people, that's easy as pie, but for most of us mere mortals, it's a bit of a challenge.

In order to write 50,000 words in 30 days, you'll need to pull off an average of 1,667 words per day. That's still quite a lot, but breaking it down like that makes it seem a little bit more manageable.
Another trick is to set up a set of smaller goals to reach along the way. Milestones that you can aim for and that don't feel out of reach. If you focus too hard on how you have to write an entire book in just one month, it can feel a bit overwhelming. Instead, break it down and take one step at a time.

Write the first chapter. Write the first ten thousand words. Write that awesome scene you've been looking forward to. Take a break and have a cup of coffee.

To help you out, here's a list of milestones for writing your NaNo novel. Think of them as the kind of Achievements or Trophies you can earn when playing video games. Sometimes they're a goal to aim for, and sometimes they just pop up as you go. A reminder that...
Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Reactions: Ban

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I'm glad you enjoyed it.
I have to admit I was undecided about doing it this year, but now after I wrote this, I kind have to. ;)

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
I'm glad you enjoyed it.
I have to admit I was undecided about doing it this year, but now after I wrote this, I kind have to. ;)
How is it going for you so far? To be honest, I've never tried doing it myself... life is just too darn busy.

Maybe someday, perhaps when the kids are older, I will give it a try.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
How is it going for you so far? To be honest, I've never tried doing it myself... life is just too darn busy.

Maybe someday, perhaps when the kids are older, I will give it a try.
I am, surprisingly, on target.
I've tried it a few times in the past, as a rogue (not registered on the nano website), and I've failed spectacularly every time. There's still a long way to go, but I feel like I have a routine and a confidence that I haven't had in the past, and that helps a lot.
It does take time though, I'm basically just working, writing and weep... I mean sleeping. If I'd had a family to look after, I wouldn't have been able to do it. ;)