• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

If You Were A God What Would You Be God Of?

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Maybe the god of cereal bowls. Or hand towels. Looking for a low-stress job ...

Ooh, everyday items used by every person alive. That doesn't sound low stress. That sounds like getting yelled out every two seconds over petty spills and damp towels. Take it from someone who knows, that sounds dreadful.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Just cuz they yell doesn't mean I have to listen. <g> 'Course, I figure that might go for God of Harvest or anything else.

Actually God of Anything Specific just seems silly to me. It presumes, first of all, that a god--all gods, really--have clearly staked out their respective jurisdictions *and* that those boundaries correspond to how humans perceive the world. Also, the notion is peculiarly provincial. If I'm, say, God of Wind, am I also God of Solar Winds? God of Martian Wind? Am I God of Wind but really there's another god, of terrestial rotation, that underlies my own ability to influence ... aw, never mind. God of Hand Towels, me. And before you ask, there's another set of gods handling production and sales and distribution.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Just cuz they yell doesn't mean I have to listen. <g> 'Course, I figure that might go for God of Harvest or anything else.

Actually God of Anything Specific just seems silly to me. It presumes, first of all, that a god--all gods, really--have clearly staked out their respective jurisdictions *and* that those boundaries correspond to how humans perceive the world. Also, the notion is peculiarly provincial. If I'm, say, God of Wind, am I also God of Solar Winds? God of Martian Wind? Am I God of Wind but really there's another god, of terrestial rotation, that underlies my own ability to influence ... aw, never mind. God of Hand Towels, me. And before you ask, there's another set of gods handling production and sales and distribution.

God of Pedantry it is!

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team

Don't forget the Oh God of Breaking Wind.

ShadeZ

Maester
Probably a more scholarly version of this God:
Necoho
Ah I have one of these too. Nihil the draconic goddess of memory loss, absence of thought, nothingness, void, and anti-death. She is constantly bickering with Mergatroid the dragon god of time, presence, magic, creation, and balance. Mergatroids son and daughter fight Nihil's cult of followers who believe the world shoudl be consumed by nothingness and dragons should rule supreme.

The god of liminal space. Forever changing, always in flux. Probably would end up also being the god of existential crises :p Due to this constant change, I would also constantly both exist and not exist (Schrodinger's god?).

In my books a number of main characters are gods. Their tempers and appearance range all the way from the seductive but dangerous god of lust and red who appears as an incredibly attractive young male elf to his calm, controlled, merciful older brother the god of war, ice, and blue. This got me thinking if the people in my life were (greek/norse modeled) gods what they would be the gods or goddesses of, how would they appear. Figured I could get some creative ideas out of you lot as well.

I would be god of green, law, and reasonable hatred of Devor.

Last edited: