• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Magic Resistance

This is another gift to the community, a thread about magic resistance and how it works in your world! I'll start with mine. Magic Resistance in the Whiterose Mythos is built up through continued use of Magic. As a Mage becomes more profiecient with a particular type of magical energy, their Resistance to that energy will scale acordingly similarly to dru

MrNybble

Sage
Magic is a means to adjust the rules of reality. Everything has some resistance depending on how much the rules are going to be skewed or broken. Anything with magic has more resistance as the natural and magical must be overcome. Levitating a small rock is rather easy. A small mouse is slightly harder as most living things have some trace of magic. Something naturally large and highly magical like a dragon and even the gods have a hard time breaking that resistance.

Chasejxyz

Inkling
"Magic" is just the utilization of natural energies to do things that wouldn't occur naturally through implying your intent mentally. So for most cases, you are magic resistant to a type of magic as you would be to the same kind of energy in a natural context: a dragon is pretty fireproof, so they would resist a flamethrower as much as they would a magic fireball.

Some interesting cases:
-some kinds of magic require you to put your hands (talons/paws/what-have-you) on the subject in question and put/push/insert their energy into it to do [thing], so you could move your energy in such a way as to counter it/block it/slow it down (if they're trying to get to your heart through your blood, you can keep your blood from going back to your heart...but then you have other problems)
-mental magic (like illusions and *hacker voice* im in) don't really have much you can do to be resistant to it, besides you knowing how to do such spells yourself and "undoing" it. But it's really hard to do or get useful information out of someone (I mean, have you seen how complex the brain is?) so it's not a thing most people worry about
-there is A Certain Kind of magic that is of poison and decay. There are ways to keep it from getting into you or on you and making you sick, but they haven't been discovered yet. However none of that has really been discovered yet besides staying the heck away from it, since everyone who experiments with it ends up dying {it's ionizing radiation, so the inverse square law is all they have to deal with it}
--however there is one species that is naturally resistant to it, as their own magic is that type, but the number of those guys running around you can count on one hand {insert thing about superhero mutants here}

Magic resistance is very cool, but do not trifle with magic immunity. Very bad idea.
The story I'm working on right now doesn't have any more magic than most sci-fi stories- almost none (as of yet. I could change my mind in that.).
Someday I will write a Fantasy story, and I'll include something for that when I do, but I need to write sci-fi first, so I can refresh my mind of all the Fantasy tropes I'm familiar with and make an original world, and develop my skills. I don't want my Epic Fantasy to be another d&d/Tolkien clone.

Magic resistance is very cool, but do not trifle with magic immunity. Very bad idea.
The story I'm working on right now doesn't have any more magic than most sci-fi stories- almost none (as of yet. I could change my mind in that.).
Someday I will write a Fantasy story, and I'll include something for that when I do, but I need to write sci-fi first, so I can refresh my mind of all the Fantasy tropes I'm familiar with and make an original world, and develop my skills. I don't want my Epic Fantasy to be another d&d/Tolkien clone.
Understandable, have a nice day. The only things that I would give magic immunity are specific, high-level Gods and Dragons that have ascended to that level. If I ever put Giants in my world, they'll get high magic resitance limited by an extreme lack of talent for magic.

Even Gods and Dragons should probably not have magic immunity. In my opinion, there should be no one with magic immunity- unless it is EXTREMELY temporary (a few minutes) and they are extremely powerful- if it is only one type of magic they are immune to- or if they are more powerful than gods, and even then shouldn't be directly immune, just able to ignore the effects through regeneration or force fields.
Of course, it's your story, not mine. Do with it what you will.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
For Smughitter it gets a little complicated. The fairies use Seelie magic which does a few different things, including mind altering dusts and bad luck inducing jinxes and fairy fire. There are ways to be immune to one of these like a helm that guards off the dusts, or you can have a kind of special immunity to Seelie magic, which wouldn’t apply to, say, ogre blood Magic. The Seelie magic immunity is fairly rare outside of the fairies who have a high resistance to their own magic type.

Saigonnus

Auror
The only magic resistance on Aern is defensive spells. None of the "peoples" have any particular natural resistance to spells even taking into account that most use magic in some form or another.

I take it back... there is a creature with resistance to sleep, poison and charm spells. Undead. They aren't rotting flesh on putrid bones, the pantheon of spells that animate them must be cast within the first 24 hours of their death so they maintain the semblance of life. They basically animate the body with the vital functions ceased. The creatures don't eat, sleep, drink, get tired and some can even retain some of their fighting ability (this depends on the skill of the engraver)

Aldarion

Archmage
Magic is basically connected to two things: nature and supernatural. Neither actually affect living beings as such, so there is no resistance to it. Natural magic means basically "feeling" things while utilizing nature as a medium: images, visions, messages and such. Supernatural magic is basically demonic magic, and it does things such as raising the dead: but there, there are techniques to defend from it, mostly centered around elements such as water and silver.