• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What is the word for something that is two opposite things in the same form

ShadeZ

Maester
I have a race that refer to their state as both a blessing and a curse. My original thought for what they would call this is a paradox. But paradox refers to two wholly opposite things not two opposite things existing in the same form.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
The common expression is that it's a double-edged sword. You could probably twist that to whatever weapon some old hero of theirs once used, like a double-bladed axe or a spear with two points. Or a snake with two heads. Or maybe a fish against a current. Anything that kind of suggests the dichotomy or struggle of two directions at once.

I reject the premise that an existing word (in the capacity that you're thinking of, that is) will do.
I'd imagine they'd have a bespoke word for the affliction, since it's so central to them, and so captivating of their focus. Describe the affliction itself. The name for what they have will be the word.
For example: if the race were all shapeshifters, they would be blessed with kewl shapeshifting powers, but cursed with inability to be sure of who is their fellow man. So they'll call the good problem, the terrible boon, "mutability," "slipperiness," or perhaps "inconstancy."