• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Little Fish Drowning Cover

Mia

Troubadour
BOOK COVER.png Okay guys this is the book cover i visualize with my story. My story as a lot of fantstical elements to it but mostly happens in a city in our world. Would you be disappointed with the cover? The cover works perfectly in term of symbolism. I didnt choose it randomly but if you see it, would you see it as literal or symbolic?
thanks for the feedback!

Have a nice holiday and stay safe

Last edited:
I agree with making the text bigger. I would also make the swimmer bigger.

At first glance, if this story is in fantasy, then I would take the cover literally. I would expect there to be a sea monster and some swimming in the story.

nothing wrong with a symbolic cover, but make sure to make it clear in the description that it is.

Mia

Troubadour
Thanks, Josh, Thanks Spires :) will correct that.

As for you Spires... there is a kraken and they do go beneath the ocen at some point but its like a little part of the book. Knowing that would you still be disappointed? both exist literally in the book even though i chose it for its symbolism. lets put it this way they spend in term as much time under the sea as the hobbits spend in the Shire in LotR

I'd cut the kraken altogether and just have the image of the woman reaching upward- just on cover alone.

having read some of the book- I wonder if you might want to go with something that connects more directly. the issue I have is that the title "Little Fish Drowning" is one of my favorites, but by then graphically illustrating that actually happening... it loses it's poetry. No need to hit us over the head with it.

-j

Mia

Troubadour
I'd cut the kraken altogether and just have the image of the woman reaching upward- just on cover alone.

having read some of the book- I wonder if you might want to go with something that connects more directly. the issue I have is that the title "Little Fish Drowning" is one of my favorites, but by then graphically illustrating that actually happening... it loses it's poetry. No need to hit us over the head with it.

-j
mmm i m not sure i follow. your suggestion is to just remove the kraken or to redo it from scratch and make a totally different cover? i am okay with both suggestions i am just not sure i understand what you mean :)

heh. not sure if I do either. I just worry that it's too literal of a cover as it stands now. It may be fine with less water and less kraken in it- but I'd have to have some fun with photoshop to find out. I could play around with it and make something but did not want to start forcing my idea on your creativity. Its really up to you! Just random thoughts from us that you can always take or leave-

ghah edit, then I went and did a little to just see. its below. usually one has to do like 100 variations until you get what you like. heh. this is very rough.. like the words are not aligned properly etc. but just as a draft to see relative sizing and composition.

note that now she is reaching for the O in drowning like a life raft.. that may or may not be a good detail.

Last edited:
As for you Spires... there is a kraken and they do go beneath the ocen at some point but its like a little part of the book. Knowing that would you still be disappointed? both exist literally in the book even though i chose it for its symbolism. lets put it this way they spend in term as much time under the sea as the hobbits spend in the Shire in LotR
Yeah, that would be fine for me. Nothing wrong with just hinting at something in the novel with the cover.

that works for me, I like the author on the bottom like that--- though you changed your name! . you will need to make the title stand out better against the background- add a shadow or a stroke (basically an outline in a different color around the text). Or I would even suggest a black band right across that section under the title text.

Hi,

I'd stay with the gold text - it looks great against the blue. But I'd keep the one tentacle. Just make it one single long tentacle reaching out for her ankle and lose the rest of the beast.

Cheers, Greg.

Reactions: Mia

R.C. White

I like the gold text too. The only thing I would suggest is to tweak your kerning just a touch to spread the lettering in the title. I like how it looks without the kraken. Maybe shrink her a tiny bit and lower her a hair. Just nitpicking at this point. It looks good.