• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Jobs for bronze-age thinking, talking dogs

Assuming a bronze-age level of tech (minus some technological spillovers from what we'd call "the modern world"), if humans and sapient dogs coexisted, what would the dogs be better specialized for? It's a post-apocalyptic setting, and there are "zombies," but I have precluded them specializing specializing because the scent of zombie blood drives them mad. Human sweat mixed with this blood (remember, these zombies aren't just infected humans) , so coexisting with humans fighters isn't a problem. In fact, the protagonist is unique because she is noseblind and can fight zombies herself alongside other humans. The dogs, in my mind, currently live on the perimeter of one human settlement that's built in the rocky, landed equivalent of an atoll that's open on one end, with most of the inside being farmland, with housing closer to the outside. This way they can warn of raiders and zombies before running off while the humans fight. My first instinct is to think, "that's not enough for them to earn their bread," and if I think that automatically while I'm in my climate-controlled room, then some people in a survival situation are definitely going to be more hardline about that sort of thing, and some of those humans might be the ones pulling weight in decision.
The dogs walk on all fours and handle things in their mouths; other than that they can talk, they're just dogs.
What can they do? I can imagine this: policing the humans already inside the city (don't steal crops/from each other), hunting for game animals, and intelligent draught animals at the cost of requiring more of them (what could be better than a donkey you could instruct?).

LAG

Troubadour
Depends. Dogs in our world are either hedonistic slaves, loyal guardians, or hunting aids.
Jobs they do here is bomb sniffing, drug sniffing, water rescue, bling guiding, circus acting, movie acting, hunting et cetera.
Now talking dogs can sing, sit in taverns and describe scents to people, act as perimeter guards alerting humans of far-off smells/sounds, be used as draft animals, hold debates in public fora, fight for animal rights, do pest control and I'm sure there are more imaginative possibilities.

I'm not presenting a setting of Hellenic glories and wealth in which one can conceive of dog philosophers and dog entertainers, let alone humansuch entities. I am presenting hardship, and possibly also a siege.

LAG

Troubadour
Hmm don't think a dog spinning round and round to sling stones is feasible.
There are situations than can be sketched, where they carry buckets of water to douse fires, or carry any number of things by biting onto leather-handled sacks: Arrows, stones, rations; acting as a sort of supply system between front and rear. Acting as scouts to track zomboid movement, ofc.

If things get bad visa vi food shortages, they can ferret out vermin before the humans start eating their boots... or their dogs.
Fast runners, they can act as messengers along the battle line.