• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Term for old timey cavewomen/jungle women animal skin bikini top

thundermaker313

Writing a 1950’s pulp sci-fi story. Think “Buck Rogers Meets the Amazon Warrior Women of Zenob-9”. Something that would be right at home in the pages of “Fantastic Story,” “Out of This World Adventures” or “Startling Stories”.

What’s a good word for the animal skin bikini top that old timey cavewomen/jungle women wore?
Examples:
f73LFIa.jpg
2gnpqMO.jpg
JJPm9K2.jpg
FI2t5cd.jpg

Raquel Welch wore a fury bikini. Bikini top is too on the nose and fury bikini is just plain lazy. Blouse is more of a shirt. Tank top isn't right. Halter top makes me think of a co-ed doing jello shots. Bodice maybe? I don't know.

Something that pulp writer in the 50's would use.

Thanks.

LAG

Troubadour
yeah bodice is most retro. corset too victorian.

Now, one can say Fur top (meh) Hide bra (meh) Pelt Blouse (wordy, soft) Pelt top (maybe?)
Maybe a play on 'loincloth' = lion top

Going through this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_bras

stróphion, ascia, fasciola, taenia, mamillare, duduo, (reader-legible?) kanchuka (I like this one, very jungly)

Guess, go with what your observing character would call it. I'd like kanchuka-clad amazons swinging through the tree tops as they hunt down six-legged ostropheres that graze on the yummy-yummy stalks of behemoth shrooms.

If amazons have distinct language, mayhap they have distinct terminology for their attire.

Insolent Lad

Maester
Though halter top certainly has undesirable connotations, simply 'halter' on its own would work for me. Or 'top' for that matter.

ShadeZ

Maester
Writing a 1950’s pulp sci-fi story. Think “Buck Rogers Meets the Amazon Warrior Women of Zenob-9”. Something that would be right at home in the pages of “Fantastic Story,” “Out of This World Adventures” or “Startling Stories”.

What’s a good word for the animal skin bikini top that old timey cavewomen/jungle women wore?
Examples:
f73LFIa.jpg
2gnpqMO.jpg
JJPm9K2.jpg
FI2t5cd.jpg

Raquel Welch wore a fury bikini. Bikini top is too on the nose and fury bikini is just plain lazy. Blouse is more of a shirt. Tank top isn't right. Halter top makes me think of a co-ed doing jello shots. Bodice maybe? I don't know.

Something that pulp writer in the 50's would use.

Thanks.
Brazier. Leopard/animal hide brazier. Could also just be described as an amazonian warrior outfit or a cave woman outfit.

Reactions: LAG