• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Describing a helmet

In a short story I'm writing I have this culture which is a mix of Viking and Celt. They plunder and raid and use longships. Their language is half Norse, half Germanic with a tiny smidgeon of Celtic (I only use the language for names).

Their culture is more Celtic though. But it comes to armor, they do not wear chainmail (it makes to much noise). Instead they prefer padded armor, studded leather and (for heavy infantry) scale armor. When it comes to helmets, they do wear Celtic helmets. One of the helmets I want to use is this one. The problem is, I don't now how to describe it. If I say "horned helmets" then people will think they're stereotypical fantasy vikings (an image I really want to avoid and there are already so many parallels). They'll think of these. Which are not only historically incorrect (never existed), they are silly. I want to describe my helmet in a way that avoids this cliché.

Does anyone have any ideas or tips?

Edankyn

Minstrel
Looking at the first helmet picture I don't really see a practical value to the horns. It looks like they would just make it harder to walk around any time there is something overhead. If you don't have a pressing reason for the obscure helmet you might just want to make it a normal one, but that's just my opinion. To answer your question, one easy solution would be to include a picture or two. I enjoy when authors have some sporadic pictures to help me get a better understanding of what they were going for. That is as long as that's not a fall back routine that makes me feel like I'm reading a picture book.

They wouldn't be too practical, that's right, but I don't think they are completely useless. The horns are - like any decoration - a symbol of status. Not only that, but they have a psychological value. The Jores (the name of these people) do not often engage in field battles. They are used to swifter and more local forms of warfare. Skirmishes, ambushes, raids and psychological warfare play are their favorite methods. Horned helmets make you look taller and combined with war paint they also make you look otherworldly, like a demon.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
"A helmet with two straight conical horns protruding at an angle from a position just above the ear of the wearer." It leaves a bit of room for reader interpretation, but that's probably fine, everyone will have their own image of them anyway.
The main part is the bit about the horns being straight and conical. The traditional viking helmet is usually imagined to have curved horns, so by removing that bit you set your helm apart from standard mythological vikings.

Guy

Inkling
Perhaps just a quick mention that the horns are made of the same material as the rest of the helmet. Maybe they could show disdain for a guy who wears a (mythological) Viking helmet because he couldn't afford an all-metal helmet.

Nobby

Sage
Historically, I think peoples you are talking about wore simple, more conical helms, almost Norman, basically because they were practical.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
A helm, with two large hollow cones jutting out from the bronze, forming a V atop his head.