• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Using elves as a substitute for humans (no humans fantasy)

The quote was about hobbits, but he said ears "slightly pointed and elvish". Meaning slightly pointed = elvish.

This was confirmed when The Lost Road and Other Writings was published in 1987. In the Etymologies under the first definition of ‘LAS’, which is the element in lasse meaning ‘leaf’, there is this note: “The Quendian ears were more pointed and leaf-shaped than [?human]” (p.368).
He's inspired by the Norse, not Tolkien, so it does not really matter.

I am narrow-minded to think that its strange for humans to be wielders of magic.
1. It's your world, do what you want. If humans have magic, then whatever
2. Some humans still use magic...of a sort. Religious rituals, prayer, sometimes even spells...although that's not the same as fantasy magic, it absolutely qualifies as magic.

That's because they always considered the witch or elder or whatever as a mere conduit or avatar of a supernatural source of these abilities. Chosen by demons or a deity or spirits. No one believed humans could do magic and the magic just came from the human.
I'm leaving this thread now. You saying this is upsetting me.

Saigonnus

Auror
For me, just to offer up my opinion. If your "Elves" are not physically different from Humans, and are only different because of their ability to use magic, then why not just use Humans that can use magic? This may have been mentioned, but too many readers have a certain mental image when you say "Elf" and it is probably hard to put those images aside. It might even break their suspension if you describe the person and they resemble a Human... yet you call them Elf.

It makes me wonder if you have the "other races" present, Orcs or Trolls etc..

It also makes me curious where this "Humans can't use magic" restriction is coming from?

For me at least, it seems logically, if a world evolved with magic, i.e. part of the natural ecosystem etc of the world, than many creatures would be able to use it, not just "one race because I said so." If that is the case, then you could just differentiate "how" they use magic (one uses runic magic, another elemental magic, another still uses ones' own life force)... or what magic they can do that the other races can't.

I actually have been world-building a "Humans-only" story, without any of the traditional "fantasy races" (though some of the "creatures" have been reskinned). I believe there is enough diversity just among Humans that you don't need anything else. And yes, they can use magic.

Queshire

Istar
Whelp. I doubt you'll get a reply from the original poster considering that before S.T. the most recent post was from 2017, but that doesn't mean that the rest of us can't talk.

I've toyed with the idea of a sci fi colony ship arriving at the world they plan to set up a colony at only to find out that the world is a medieval fantasy type place. In that case the only humans are the colonists. Elves would fill their role on the planet.

SinghSong

Minstrel
Whelp. I doubt you'll get a reply from the original poster considering that before S.T. the most recent post was from 2017, but that doesn't mean that the rest of us can't talk.

I've toyed with the idea of a sci fi colony ship arriving at the world they plan to set up a colony at only to find out that the world is a medieval fantasy type place. In that case the only humans are the colonists. Elves would fill their role on the planet.
So basically Cameron's Avatar, just without the tails or the magical planetary hive-mind, and a slightly higher native tech development level?

If magic is a natural part of the world they are in, then it would actually make sense for humans to use magic. They wouldn't generate it, but they could channel it.

Toby Johnson

Minstrel
thats great, i told a story of dwarves in a mine, no humans, and i did another book which was all dragons instead of humans. do what you want its fantasy