• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What are you Reading Now?

Insolent Lad

Maester
I just read an horrendously bad pulp science-fiction novella (and I use 'science' very loosely but not as loosely as the author) called The Lost Warship. Only because it was a free Gutenberg ebook that came loaded on my e-reader. I must admit, reading this sort of thing makes me feel way better about my own writing!

Gurkhal

Auror
I'm reading two books.

I just started with "Infantry Attacks" by Rommel (yes, that famous one) and have since beginning of last week or so been reading "How to Read a Japanese Poem".

The second one I tried to read in a stretch like a novel or fact book but given its poetic nature, and that there's alot of poems in there, I have, after half the book, decided this approach was counter productive as I didn't get much from the poems. Instead I try to read a poem each morning so that I can think on it and "feel" it throughout the day. It makes for a slow going but I feel that I get more from it this way. One thing is certain though, more poetry will be added in the future to my reading as I like it so far.

After quitting Mistborn 15+ years ago, finished it on Audible. Almost done with Way of Kings.

Turns out that guy from the Writing Excesses Podcast is pretty good. LOL.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Not what am I reading now, but what have I recently read.

Well...the answer to that is our own Mr. Malik's audio book of the Dragon's Trail.

Would first like to say whoever did the reading was very good at it. Not all audio books have someone doing it who can bring the voice and drama out, but this reader was up to the task.

Would next like to say well done Mr. Malik. I enjoyed the book. I did not know if I would. You put such a lot of detail into metalurgy, weaponry, armor, architecture, and cruder ways of living that it was both a feeling of being transported and being educated by the journey. The politics were intriguing and right on, the world was complex, and the problems they faced I could see developing from the forces at hand.

If I had any complaint, I would say it was a little male centric, but I was not bothered by that. It was a little refreshing actually. My only real question, is why not bring more bullets to the sword fights, but....

I think this was a good read, I enjoyed it.

What am I reading now, meh....not worth mentioning.