• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Why did you start writing?

D

Deleted member 6884

I loved reading growing up and I thought to myself one day, "Since I love reading, why not write my own books?" I tried it out by working on my first novel at fourteen and I felt the same excitement escaping into my own world writing as I did reading. I could create anything, take the characters where I want them to go, shape them into who I want them to be, and bring the whole entire story to life! Now I hope I can allow people to escape into my books, join the adventures with my characters, and have the same joy I experience when I read :)

Scott Ryan

Acolyte
I've always loved reading and for years have woven these long stories in my head. When I was younger I would draw out maps of fictional military campaigns or immerse myself in a good RPG. I was diagnosed with cancer for the third time in 2019 and told myself who knows what the future brings? I decided that I would write a book when the right story hit. I started writing a page or two of creative writing every few days. One day, I sat down to write and found myself five pages in. Began an outline, built a world and now I work on that story every day, 84 pages and counting.

Arranah

Troubadour
I like to create stories, that’s all. I write for personal enjoyment and I share my texts to others because I want receive sincere critics, because if I improve, I’ll enjoy more my own stories, because they will be better.
How do you know they are being honest? I've found that people often tell me what they think I want to hear, even if I ask them to give me an honest opinion.

How do you know they are being honest? I've found that people often tell me what they think I want to hear, even if I ask them to give me an honest opinion.
This one of the two big problems getting feedback when you're starting out - the other being finding people willing at all to read your work.

I think there are a few ways to tell if they are being honest:

- did they ask to read it or did you offer it? If they asked, there is a better chance they'll actually read it and engage with it;
- did they say they disliked it? If they did, then it's pretty clear they read it (unless they simply don't like you).
- did they talk about the story intelligently? This is the big one - finding a reader who has deeply engaged with your story and reflected upon it is gold. These are the readers who can truly help you identify problems and/or reassure you you're on the right path. Anyone who can talk knowledgeably and analytically about your story is probably being honest - and even if they are not entirely being honest will still help you.

One thing I learned very early was to stop pestering friends and family to read my stuff - they either never got around to it, or gave me vague useless waffle. Only people who read regularly and are interested in your genre are worth asking - and even those I learned not to ask. I'd let them know I was writing in that genre and if they got interested in my three sentence blurb (which I could recite in my sleep) they might ask to read it.

Of course, being able to describe a compelling hook in three sentences is itself indicative of growth as a writer. Anyone who can't do that probably does not have full control of their ideas - or hasn't developed them to the point that they're worthy of beta treading.

Arranah

Troubadour
You responded to someone else's post with a rhetorical question on an internet forum?

Fair enough...
Yes. It was basically a statement. I've had friends read and respond to my published books. One of the books in particular had a major flaw. It was a true story about me. They knew the details already. Some of them were writers themselves. I wanted them to tell me if they found any flaws as they read it, so I could fix them. They said it was wonderful. Well... I'd had it professionally edited. Nobody told me of the flaw. So, I don't believe anyone anymore.

I started writing because i wanted to make my own story, and i wanted it to be amazing.
Still remember the day that i sat down with the intent of making a whole book, and started writing.
It was a disaster, but looking back, i realy didn't know how to write back then, so i guess its not that big of a deal.

Arranah

Troubadour
I started writing because i wanted to make my own story, and i wanted it to be amazing.
Still remember the day that i sat down with the intent of making a whole book, and started writing.
It was a disaster, but looking back, i realy didn't know how to write back then, so i guess its not that big of a deal.

Writing is a skill one has to learn. We don't automatically know how to do that. One does not become an excellent mechanic the first time they pick up a wrench. It's that way with everything. A lot of people seem to think that it's different with writing, but it is not. There are good books that can help us learn some of the basics. Then it's practice, practice, practice ad infinitum. Yes, there are junk books that become bestsellers. A person can be a good storyteller, but not good at writing. I can think of several bestselling authors who fit in that category. Most of us have to do it the hard way, through dedication, perseverance and having a willingness to recognize that what we have written is junk and be willing to do what it takes to fix it.

I’m writing the story I always thought would have made me happiest. The magic system I always envisioned. The tragedies I though would be most compelling, the twists I thought would hit hardest.

I always find myself critical of a story, even if I love the majority of it. I decided to take a crack at it myself, though I realize I will likely just fall short of my own inflated expectations.

I don’t really know, I’ve just always liked creating things, and writing seemed to be the easiest medium to manipulate. I enjoy telling stories and creating things that people can follow along with.

Kathy Cyr

Acolyte
I started writing personal essays and some romance in my late twenties, but it wasn't until I discovered middle grade fantasy that writing just clicked for me.

ChazAngel

Dreamer
I started writing for my dad, he was in and out of hospital while I was growing up. I used to make up these little stories for him so he wouldn't get bored. These little badly written stories would get passed around by the nurses and the patients on the ward, and everyone loved them, and that's how I become hooked because every time I stepped on to the ward they would all be talking about my stories. Later on in my life my mum passed away and I suffered with depression and the only way I could deal with it was putting my characters in some horrible situations, been writing ever since. Currently on a WIP to hopeful achieve my dream of being published.

I started to write when I read the Rikki-Tikki-Tavvi story. I didn't like the ending. The snakes were my favourite and I didn't like it that they died, so... I changed it. For a while, I just kept going over scenes and redoing them to fit my ideas. But I didn't really get into writing until I took an idea from one of the scenes I changed and reworked the characters. Then I wrote my own little story using that scene as a prompt.
Since then, I've fallen in love with writing and can't seem to stop.

Arranah

Troubadour
I started writing for my dad, he was in and out of hospital while I was growing up. I used to make up these little stories for him so he wouldn't get bored. These little badly written stories would get passed around by the nurses and the patients on the ward, and everyone loved them, and that's how I become hooked because every time I stepped on to the ward they would all be talking about my stories. Later on in my life my mum passed away and I suffered with depression and the only way I could deal with it was putting my characters in some horrible situations, been writing ever since. Currently on a WIP to hopeful achieve my dream of being published.

This is very touching. Thank you for sharing it. Publishing is hard to get into right now, so don't give up. If you want to publish it yourself, Smashwords doesn't charge you anything up front. They just take a small amount of the sales price.

I'm not sure. When I was younger it was a good way to make friends, and even when we grew apart I carried on with adding to and building off our previous ideas.

What good are these characters trapped in your head? Writing is life for them and for me. We will die if I don't.
This really important to me. And the best thing that ever happens is when the characters reach into my world and wrest control of the story away from me.

When that happens I know I'm in the groove.