• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!
I believe the humble mustache is under-represented in fiction in general.

Shaven folk and bearded folk, but not many with those lustrous Gallic soup-tentacles as seen in Asterix and Obelix.

Mustaches are either: "Ooh I'm a sneaky man who cheats at cards and sells your secrets(twirl, twirl twirl)", or "Aaah, I am the wise old man up on in the mountain temple who will teach the hero the secret art of the boomerang(with a montage)"
I know, we need more mustaches, LAG .

Because it was the convention in our world at the time. The MP of my Malvern Trilogy came from 1914 USA and that of 'Tsar of the Empty Lands' originated in 1935 USSR.
Was your book published? Also, that is true, 1914 had very little facial hair, mostly only Jazz musicians and people who were in their *ahem* golden years had them.

Arranah

Troubadour
I like beards on guys. As a woman it means I would not get whisker burn in romantic entanglements. I don't like long bushy ones that look like ratty shredded wheat. I like them to be well groomed. I like the differences between men and women. This unisex stuff is boring...boring. I put beards in my stories as I feel inclined to do so and it fits the character.

I think that a neatly trimmed mustache looks more professional than being clean shaven
Because not only do people with a neatly trimmed mustache have to take care not to get nicks on their face when shaving, but they also have to take careful, calculated cuts with trimmers to keep their mustache neat and professional

Reminds me of Final Fantasy 12. Original Main Character was supposed to be Basch fon Rosenberg. Older man with beard. The plot revolves around his evil twin brother assassinating a king. His redemption, and reclaiming the throne for the true heir.

However, executives thought young pretty boys sold better, so Vaan was added to the game as an MC. What is his connection to the plot? He watches the real protagonist have an interesting story.

Reminds me of Final Fantasy 12. Original Main Character was supposed to be Basch fon Rosenberg. Older man with beard. The plot revolves around his evil twin brother assassinating a king. His redemption, and reclaiming the throne for the true heir.

However, executives thought young pretty boys sold better, so Vaan was added to the game as an MC. What is his connection to the plot? He watches the real protagonist have an interesting story.
Ah, so they must be pogonophobic.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
We don't have a lot of characters with beards, in part because many of them are fae and can't grow them, and we have a lot of women, only one of whom has any sort of hormonal disorder (PCOS). But in our current WIP we have a lot of dwarves who do grow them and decorate them, and a vampire who was once a Medici.

Behind the lion walked a tall, trim man, a vampire, with neat hair and a goatee that must have been shaped with a ruler and a straight razor. He looked like he had stepped out of a Renaissance painting in an Armani suit. His eyes were a silvery gray, glittering with intellect, but not unkind, and other than a ruby stick pin he wore no other jewelry.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Are you saying that fae can't grow hair at all, that they are forced to shave their beards, or that they can't grow facial hair specifically?
Fae don't grow facial hair. It's one of those markers of "other" in faerie lore that sets them apart in a human setting, especially in eras when all men grew beards as an indicator of maturity and virility.

Fae don't grow facial hair. It's one of those markers of "other" in faerie lore that sets them apart in a human setting, especially in eras when all men grew beards as an indicator of maturity and virility.
My worlds are a bit different than that. All of my species can grow facial hair, even people with fish heads.

Some women can grow beards.
have a lot of dwarves who do grow them and decorate them,
I love dwarves.
" Behind the lion walked a tall, trim man, a vampire, with neat hair and a goatee that must have been shaped with a ruler and a straight razor. He looked like he had stepped out of a Renaissance painting in an Armani suit. His eyes were a silvery gray, glittering with intellect, but not unkind, and other than a ruby stick pin he wore no other jewelry." Nice description.