• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Manuscript Formatting

TheHawk

Dreamer
Not sure where to post this - or even if you need it - but here is a link to an article on 'correct' manuscript formatting for those wish to send off a novel to a publisher.

mss-prep.html

drkpyn

Scribe
Bookmarked. I have actually just recently begun worrying about formatting my document, so this is perfectly timed. Perhaps this should be stickied or added to the resources page.

I dunno I've had such varying opinions from publishers over the years over this LOL. Just when I think I've mastered how to do up the final draft for the publisher, I always end up having to change margins or spacing or something else minute -.- it gets aggravating. I don't think there can be a site that has the correct format when every publisher is different and you may just have better luck contacting a series of publishers you're interested in and asking for their guidelines... But I, as well as everyone else probably, will check your link out LOL I always like learning new ways to present my manuscript >^.^<

Kelise

Maester
Different countries have different formatting, too. And like Mdnight said, certain publishers ask for different formatting... no idea why. To check that we're paying attention? hehe

Fantastic link though - I'm just saying, always check the publisher's website, because I think 99% of the time, their guidelines are posted there, and if you don't stick to them you could be thrown out without further glance.

I'd think your link would be right 99.9% of the time though, it looks spot on for what guidelines I've seen so far. Except for that one short story place... sigh.