• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writer's Block

Eosphorus

Dreamer
Writer's block is definitely a thing, I think. But it is not the disease, it is the symptom. It is telling you something's wrong. It's your job as a writer to figure out what that is. Among the many possibilities, it could be that:

(A) You've simply lost interest in this story, which could mean any number of things. It could mean this is not the story for you or it could mean that you need to revitalize the plot and the characters. To do so, I recommend:
(B) You do some research in the non-fiction world. Find interesting scenarios you might be able to incorporate. Or who knows, maybe you'll find something that suddenly inspires a new plotline.
(C) This is not the story for you. Step away from it. Come back later, in a month, if you feel the urge. If not, don't. Sometimes there's wisdom in letting go. Take what you've learned to a new project.

And there you go, that's my word on writer's block.

For me personally, its only ever been lack of motivation and the presence of distractions. My best way of getting rid of writers block is just to keep dreaming up ideas, so when the block eventually passes, you have plenty of material to work with. This means that hopefully you won't fall back into writers block for a decent amount of time.