• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Are vampires still viable as monsters?

Eosphorus

Dreamer
Oh, vampires are fully fanged, even the new ones - who abstain from killing, and pointedly, from sex. Their absence, and romance, is a symptom of the changing mentality of the times! This is precisely the point. The vampire is a symbol for transgression, for overpowering another's boundaries with (if you're Mina Harker) or without their consent (if you're an unlucky passerby). When have the fangs of the vampire ever been more visible than now? With #Metoo in the air?

Queshire

Auror
Well now, I wouldn't use a vampire as a horror movie monster, but that's because I don't write horror movies.

The figure filling the role of Gluttony in my sins themed group of villains is a ridiculously strong vampire. She comes from a world that dealt with their monster and demon problems through a form of magic that amounted to eating the essence of the monsters. Inevitably the users of that type of magic either turned on each other or became monsters in their own right. Gluttony won that particular competition and moved onto the rest of the multiverse.

She's grown past the need to use fangs to consume prey. Just by touching someone she can drain them to the point that they become dust, and then she'll often suck up that dust.

She's shown the ability to use powerful ice magic by eating heat, consume space to teleport and fully consume someone’s soul and destiny to become them. This is on top of being a physical bruiser.

She's also immune to most vampire weaknesses due to either A) being old enough and having consumed enough that her soul is a black hole too dense for a purification effect to affect or B) being powerful enough that the sun is a century long snack for her instead of trying to swallow the ocean like it is for most vamps.