• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What's your craziest worldbuilding idea?

Saigonnus

Auror
I had a character that wore mummy-wrappings for clothes... rode a midget cow and never bathed. It was always a competition between the others to see who could knock him into a puddle... or get him to swim.

Definitely my magic system power allocation being based on real property.

That or setting an urban fantasy in Utah with a regular Joe Schmoe lawyer suing some demons in the utah court system.

D. Gray Warrior

Troubadour
I've toyed with a space opera that focuses more on magic and fantasy rather than science and technology.

Instead of planets, the characters travel between "world-trees" similar to Yggdrasil from Norse mythology.

I think the strangest bit of geography was a Prismatic Desert. Like, there are bits of glass or something that reflects colored light. makes the place look psychedelic.

MrNybble

Sage
I built a world. A custom planet that was once two now squashed together. Two super continents opposite of each other with a vast and deep ocean separating them. A giant cleft under the ocean runs around from north to south that can be a hundred kilometers deep in some areas. Makes for some interesting sea life. The planet's double core makes for a strong magnetic field that prevents any electrical technology from being developed. It's also about twice the size of earth so travel times can be length.

There are two moons with one being something like earth's moons. The other referred to as the hidden moon is always in the planet's shadow and only noticed when it blocks light from the stars. Only went with one sun though.

WooHooMan

Auror
I got a world without matter. I tried writing a piece set there and the prose didn’t use nouns. That was pretty trippy.

There was also a place in this universe were space and time were kind of screwy so traveling in one direction would send you forward in time while moving backwards would cause you to move backwards in time. Then moving to one side caused time to slow down until it stopped and moving the opposite direction caused time to become nonlinear.

So I got stuff like that.

My craziest world is still a work in progress.
It's pretty much always dark and there is no day/night cycle. There is a sun but it's far enough away that it mostly just appears as a pale circle in the sky and isn't that helpful in terms of heating and lighting and there isn't a moon. But I'm not getting super scientific with it.
Instead of going by day/night people tell time by the Howls. There is a howl every hour by the Hounds, (the servants of Death and they looks like wolves) and on the twelfth Howl, they collect the dead or those that Death has decided that it's their time to die.
The magic system there is completely based off of communicating to the spirits of things. Everything has a spirit in that world but there are only a few people that are capable of communicating with them. The magic-users are called Whisperer's and whether or not what they are trying to get the spirit to do succeeds depends on how realistic it is.
The world basically has two layers. The Surface which is mostly a barren wasteland of rock with nothing growing on it and has several stagnant pools of water from geysers. And the Underground, which mostly started out as enormous underground caverns which people live in. Though as time passed, people made them larger and more suited for living in. The world is mostly heated by it's core and there are large rifts that vent heat where most of the cities grow around.
Water is a precious commodity as most of the world is a hunk of rock. There are large underground lakes and the water cycle is basically geysers that blast the water up the the Surface where it ends up in stagnant pools. Though people have created tunnels so that the water comes back down to the lakes. The Whisperers can purify the water though they have to collect the bacteria since they are basically just separating the two. The bacteria often gets weaponized or people experiment on it to see if they can come up with a way to get rid of it without needing Whisperer's.
There are also light stones that people usually use as a light source. There are a lot of mushrooms and fungi, stuff that you would find in underground caves as far as plants and all that goes. Animals are pretty similar and everything is adapted for either the cold or the heat.
As far as needing fire goes there are elementals on the world and fire elementals are typically captured from the rifts and enslaved for use in the cities.

Saigonnus

Auror
My next craziest has got to be time travel. When I was watching Fringe I had this theory that the two dimensions were created because of timetravel, which is why there were only two dimensions, and why there was so much risk of one of them collapsing: One of them wasn't meant to exist. Well, that's not what Fringe did. But I took that idea and ran with it, and ended up with an outline of several different futures that were falling apart because of how many futures existed, and so they were trying to evacuate, or invade, into the present day to survive. The timetravel mechanics I used made it work out better than you'd expect.

I actually started on a near future apocalypse story that involves time travel. Basically the idea is a scientist from the future sends her consciousness back in time to "infiltrate" the mind of a mechanic through his dreams so she can influence him to kill the people who are at the center of the future geologic disaster that will ruin all life on earth. He was not chosen at random, but selected specifically because he is ex-military and lives in the same "colony" as the targets; who will become the founder and CEO (and the "board") of a company that causes the geologic disaster.

Miles Lacey

Archmage
I'm not sure if it would be considered crazy but I created a world in which bisexuality was the sexual orientation of most people. I completely changed the very notions of what family, marriage and relationships were. In this world many marriages consist of two men and two women because Scripture states that a person cannot be happy without an opposite sex and same sex partner. Thus, children will often have two biological and two non-biological parents and their siblings might be related biologically through both biological parents or one biological parent and one non-biological parent having a child or "related by relationship" because the parents of their siblings are their non-biological parents.

And the world was created by super-intelligent aliens who are confused for gods by the inhabitants of that world.

Does that sound like crazy world building?

My craziest world is still a work in progress.
It's pretty much always dark and there is no day/night cycle. There is a sun but it's far enough away that it mostly just appears as a pale circle in the sky and isn't that helpful in terms of heating and lighting and there isn't a moon. But I'm not getting super scientific with it.
Instead of going by day/night people tell time by the Howls. There is a howl every hour by the Hounds, (the servants of Death and they looks like wolves) and on the twelfth Howl, they collect the dead or those that Death has decided that it's their time to die.
The magic system there is completely based off of communicating to the spirits of things. Everything has a spirit in that world but there are only a few people that are capable of communicating with them. The magic-users are called Whisperer's and whether or not what they are trying to get the spirit to do succeeds depends on how realistic it is.
The world basically has two layers. The Surface which is mostly a barren wasteland of rock with nothing growing on it and has several stagnant pools of water from geysers. And the Underground, which mostly started out as enormous underground caverns which people live in. Though as time passed, people made them larger and more suited for living in. The world is mostly heated by it's core and there are large rifts that vent heat where most of the cities grow around.
Water is a precious commodity as most of the world is a hunk of rock. There are large underground lakes and the water cycle is basically geysers that blast the water up the the Surface where it ends up in stagnant pools. Though people have created tunnels so that the water comes back down to the lakes. The Whisperers can purify the water though they have to collect the bacteria since they are basically just separating the two. The bacteria often gets weaponized or people experiment on it to see if they can come up with a way to get rid of it without needing Whisperer's.
There are also light stones that people usually use as a light source. There are a lot of mushrooms and fungi, stuff that you would find in underground caves as far as plants and all that goes. Animals are pretty similar and everything is adapted for either the cold or the heat.
As far as needing fire goes there are elementals on the world and fire elementals are typically captured from the rifts and enslaved for use in the cities.
They also don't have cats, apparently.

They also don't have cats, apparently.
Well...no, it wouldn't make any sense to have cats. Most of the natural habitat and prey for cats don't really exist in this world. Mammals aren't overly common, I'm trying to go with animals that are closer to cave/underground animals for this world since that's technically what it is.
Also, just a side note, the Hounds aren't actual hounds, that's just the form that Death has them take.

Malise

Scribe
The most experimental concept I had is the idea of a physical collective unconscious that can be accessed by everyone (they're all minor-gods in terms of power level) in my world. The deeper someone is in a subconscious state the further they delve into the collective unconscious and the more they can see of nearby people's own thoughts. However, the "noise" from other people's thoughts often causes people's brains to not process what's happening to it, causing a jolt that catapults them back into consciousness if they're not in a state of a deep dream. The faster someone wakes from consciousness the unconsciousness, the more that they forget about their time in the collective unconscious.

For example, the first level of the collective unconscious is the Preciving, or the "subjective worlds" that exist in the eye of its beholders. A skillful mediator can stay in this level of the collective unconscious to use people at the same level of subconsciousness as them as CCTV, for as long as they're able to not get stirred by their "noise". There are about 9 more levels to the collective unconscious after the preceding that are subsequently harder to get into, of which "Enlightenment" is the deepest level. Enlightenment is wherin a person is able to be in tune with the thoughts of everyone within the world, causing the person to escape "Existance" and reach "Divinity", promoting the minor-god level person into a full god without a physical body, that can only exist in some form in the collective unconcious.