• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Looking for unique weapons

Eclipse

For a long time now, I have preferred weapons that are light and fast instead of heavy and slow. I would rather wield a poison tipped dagger with the stealth to use it in a fantasy world for example, than use a huge club and be strong enough to wield it. For years now I have created character after character, and almost all of them wield either dual swords or sword and dagger. Over time, it has started to get boring. I'm starting to get tired of just having two swords/daggers. I'm looking for a unique weapon shape that is graceful and elegant, yet brutal and cunning at the same time. Something Like the Blade of the Blood Chief from Magic the Gathering, except it looks a bit too much like a sword. I'm really just looking for a fast and light weapon that isn't a sword. (Or a spear, I really don't like spears)

Too bad about the spear and other such pole arms. I think they're pretty nice and have reach, but that's me. You might end up going slightly exotic for it. Like bill hooks and axes. The khopesh or sickles also. Or go for the likes of maces or hammers. You may end up slightly disappointed, but there's only so much variety in melee sorts of weapons. Could also use guns.

WooHooMan

Auror
I give all my guys guns. Plenty of variety there, especially when you add magic.

If you want something more old school, I think some kind of whip might be unique. It’s already established as a cool heroic weapon thanks to Indian Jones.

Your picture kind of reminded me of an Indian madu which is kind of like a small shield with two little swords attached to it. There’s also a haladie which is similar but minus the shield part.

Saigonnus

Auror
A friend of mine had similar issues playing AD&D a long while back. Traditionally, he played fighters, thieves or some combo of the two. He didn't end up diverging much from that (Half-elf/were-tiger fighter/cleric (god of secrets) But instead of the typical sword/dagger, or longsword/shortsword dual-wield, We got him to use bladed spear; like a short sword blade for the spearpoint. You can use it as a staff, or a piercing weapon, you could throw it in dire times of desperation. His also has a skullcrusher on the back end to counterweight the blade. A good addition if you face off against undead.

Later in the game, it was forged completely of adamantium and could be split in half for a bladed short spear/mace combo if he chose.

Too bad about your dislike of spear, they are quite versatile weapons if used right.

Another option could be a manriki-gusari or something similar. He could aways be a pugilist if all else fails.

Last edited:

Eclipse

Thanks all for the answers. I also think it's too bad I don't like spears. They do seem really versatile, but for some reason they just don't feel right to me. The hook blade and the whip seem interesting, as well as the claw, and sickle. I appreciate the feedback.

Try using a gun that fires puppies, or a whip with a dagger tied to it, or a quadruple bladed axe, or a cannon that fires out clones of its user.