• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Looks like I won't be able to write my martial arts story afterall :(

WonderingSword5

Troubadour
So I had a discussion on a martial arts website about writing martial arts in my story, about the point scoring, how matches would be set up, the age brackets of how kids to teens would of been set up, what the tournaments were like in the 90's, if anything's changed, and they told me if I had never experienced and lived martial arts, the point systems, tournament matches and no whstvthe crowds are like or what its6like ro ein or lose then I can not write about it, even if it is fantasy :(

So I'll have to substitute it for something else, can anyone spitball ideas at me for what I can replace where the MC was training in his youth, other than a martial arts school? And I'll use the same concept I had planned and just avoid the martial art dojo.

That sounds kind of rude, and not being anything of help. They are not in charge of what you write, you are. Yes, you may make mistakes, but that's why you're doing the research. There's a lot of stuff in fantasy and in general that most of us will not experience. Yes, it's helpful and all. But we can't ride dragons or walk among mushroom forests. I understand that's discouraging, but that just sounds petty from them.

WonderingSword5

Troubadour
It's not the fantasy part their as much upset about, but the fact I would be using real life martial art rules settings and that I can't do that unless I had real experience in what competing in tournaments was like. And if I make it up, they'll be even more offended that I'm insulting the martial arts. They even asked me if I'm a real writer or not :(

Slartibartfast

Minstrel
Your writing is your own. I've heard the argument before that a writer should not write outside of their own experience. Unless an autobiography is now the only acceptable way to write then this is incorrect.
There are a lot of people on the internet who just seem to get their kicks screeching in outrage at the general existence of everything. Not everyone you meet is well adjusted or will be shouting an opinion which is worthy of rearranging your life around. I would argue that anyone who is pushing a philosophy which is all about what a complete stranger is 'allowed' to think/write/create is someone who needs to spend more time working on themselves before you take them too much to heart. By all means be polite, possibly pity them a bit, but then move on. You do you.

Certainly not helping themselves not come across as complete jerks, that. Might have to keep looking and not depend on one area, check out old youtube videos of tournaments. And with any competition, sure the euphoria and the disappointment is much the same across all of them. All the work that goes into practice for it. There's bound to be some place out there that will give you what you need for help. They clearly seem to not be interested at all in helping you, so you should just jump ship and find some place that will.

And if it comes down to it, wiki the basics and figure out a way to make it work even if you have to make something up. Many ways to make it work, even if you have to skip some others to get there.

WonderingSword5

Troubadour
Your writing is your own. I've heard the argument before that a writer should not write outside of their own experience. Unless an autobiography is now the only acceptable way to write then this is incorrect.
There are a lot of people on the internet who just seem to get their kicks screeching in outrage at the general existence of everything. Not everyone you meet is well adjusted or will be shouting an opinion which is worthy of rearranging your life around. I would argue that anyone who is pushing a philosophy which is all about what a complete stranger is 'allowed' to think/write/create is someone who needs to spend more time working on themselves before you take them too much to heart. By all means be polite, possibly pity them a bit, but then move on. You do you.

Exactly, this is not an autobiography, it's a fantasy story but some people are just so sensitive that if anything they feel is inaccurate, like a martial art technique, or if a point is scored in a match and is not accurate enough to their martial art discipline, they will argue and attack me in any way over it and make it go viral. I would want to do the best to avoid any outrage but that might limit my creativity level, unless I can substitute it for something similar that can be less offensive. And when they did respond this way to me on the martial arts site, even poking fun at me if I really know how to write, I tried to speak against them and question them, "all I asked is for some research on martial arts tournament and rules and I get back these insults" it's like they're some secret society who's bent on controlling their discipline practices from being used in a fictional setting. They even tell me that my question is stupid when I asked them what martial art style tournaments through the 90's had kids and teens competing against eachother and what was the rules like then :(

Certainly not helping themselves not come across as complete jerks, that. Might have to keep looking and not depend on one area, check out old youtube videos of tournaments. And with any competition, sure the euphoria and the disappointment is much the same across all of them. All the work that goes into practice for it. There's bound to be some place out there that will give you what you need for help. They clearly seem to not be interested at all in helping you, so you should just jump ship and find some place that will.

And if it comes down to it, wiki the basics and figure out a way to make it work even if you have to make something up. Many ways to make it work, even if you have to skip some others to get there.

They were not helpful. They just continued to insult me that I have no right to put this in my writings if I don't know enough about it and haven't experienced much of it myself in real life. Then the insults they throw at me if I'm an actual writer and if I really know how to write. It's a disaster on there :(

I may have to keep looking for other martial art websites who would be more willing to share information with me so I can do the proper research. I tried searching Youtube videos of martial art matches in the 90's and up to early 2000, which this decade takes place in one part of my story,but I found nothing on martial art tournaments in the 90's with teens and kids competing. I found some videos which looked like small exhibition matches like sparring or practicing against eachother but no real tournaments, most I find are more recent and not from the 90's :(

They were lying. There is the chance that some wildly wrong description of sporting events would jump out to them, but otherwise most readers would never know. Plus, you can always do research to learn all the correct or most common rules, procedures, and experiences involved in such competitions.

If everybody who wanted to write about space travel had to first go into space...yeah, right.

ascanius

Inkling
Sounds like they they are followers of the ultra secret mcdojo worrier society. Dude screw them, I've come across similar sites in the end they are a bunch of idiots blowing smoke up each other's nether regions until their egos are as big as the hindenburg. Try jujutsu sites I've found the to be more rational.

Also you can find the rule books online, all this kicks and punches etc allowed and discriptions, it will take some work but you can put everything together.

Don't quit because idiots say you can't, we would still be in the stone age if people never did something because some else says it's forbidden.

WonderingSword5

Troubadour
They were lying. There is the chance that some wildly wrong description of sporting events would jump out to them, but otherwise most readers would never know. Plus, you can always do research to learn all the correct or most common rules, procedures, and experiences involved in such competitions.

If everybody who wanted to write about space travel had to first go into space...yeah, right.

They told me no research is good enough, not unless I lived and breathed martial arts and knew what it was like to compete in matches. And you're right, many who love to write about space travel don't have to be space travelers or astronauts but these martial art communities take this very seriously for some reason :(

Sounds like they they are followers of the ultra secret mcdojo worrier society. Dude screw them, I've come across similar sites in the end they are a bunch of idiots blowing smoke up each other's nether regions until their egos are as big as the hindenburg.

They feel like some sort of cult the way they insulted me, like a forbidden law from asking any questions unless I was apart if that specific martial art community at martial talk :(

Try jujutsu sites I've found the to be more rational.

Do you know any good sites I can look up? Perhaps I'll try them out.

Also you can find the rule books online, all this kicks and punches etc allowed and discriptions, it will take some work but you can put everything together.

As long as I get the right information and it's authentic as possible. Though it seems hard to find anything from the 90's.

Don't quit because idiots say you can't, we would still be in the stone age if people never did something because some else says it's forbidden.

I agree, thank you for the support, as much as they say no, I may still have a chance :)

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
First off, these guys you talked to need to cool their jets. They aren't in a position to dictate terms to you, or any of us. But, that being said, they do underline why it's important to do your homework. If you're writing about the experience of being a martial artist, go deep and talk to the people involved, and you're already doing that. Keep at it and just make sure you get your facts straight.

I competed when I was a kid. My dad was military and made sure the three of us got a good martial arts education. I was a twelve-year-old girl competing in Tae Kwan Do in the late 80's with a dad who was multi-disciplinary and taught me a lot of unorthodox ways to defend myself. It was a different experience than probably most of the guys you talked to would have had. But, I don't remember details like how points were tallied or even what some of the belts were called. I was twelve. My memories are of hard work and sweat building muscle memory and strength and discipline. I also remember a lot of my first encounters with in-your-face sexism and toxic masculinity.

Don't give up, but do keep researching. Go broad. Go deep. Look at other disciplines and see how they all work together to form a community. Then, when you've gotten through the first draft or two of the project, try to include martial artists in your betas and listen to them. It's the same idea behind any representational writing, only martial artists aren't exactly an oppressed group. As a martial artist, I see no reason you can't write about us.

Someday you're going to be someone's favorite author. Just make sure you do your homework. And don't let the Negative Nancy's stop you. Do listen, and do accept constructive criticism when it's offered, do own up to your mistakes, and do be willing to change when you screw up (and you will - we all do it), but there will always be jerks out there who lack imagination and inspiration and think no one can truly understand something unless they've lived it. They are outliers. Don't you quit.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
If you want to write it then write it. Do your homework and then do your best.

When people say write what you know, it's not something to be taken literally otherwise no one would ever be able to write anything sci-fi or fantasy ever. I mean I'm sorry sir you can't write about riding a dragon. You've never ridden one. I'm sorry sir you can't write about playing Quidditch. You've never played the game. AHHHHH F-OFF!

It's about applying your personal experiences into the story. You've never ridden a dragon, but I'm sure you've ridden a roller coaster or ridden in something that has gone really fast. If not, you can. You may not have been punched in the face, but I'm sure you've stubbed your toe. Combine that with some research, and you'll put yourself in a good position.

Have you ever seen the Mighty Ducks movies? They're about a kid's hockey team. I'm a hockey player. I'm also Canadian, so I know my hockey, form tiny kid's level up to the adult levels. Those movies, to put it bluntly, the hockey is terrible in soooo many ways, from the rules to environment to equipment to simple game play. it gets A LOT wrong, like 90% wrong. But it's cute and it's fun, so I can watch it and enjoy it for what it is. Sure I may groan sometimes at the game play and stuff, but enough people enjoyed the stories enough to have fostered two sequels, a Disney TV show, and a real life NHL team.

The hockey may be bad, but the story had something to say, regardless of the details. And that's what a lot of the people who love the franchise glom on to. Something to keep in mind. It's like that with a lot of sports movies.

Miles Lacey

Archmage
Check out the World Karate Federation videos on YouTube. They have videos that show what the rules, regulations, points systems and terms used in karate are.

Kata are chereographed movements that are similar to synchronised dancing. All tournaments have Kata and Kumite competitions.

Kumite is any training or fighting involving an adversary. Kumite contestants are classed by gender and weight, not age.

Kihon are the basic techniques themselves, along with the breathing and physical exercises that people who do karate use.

Hope this helps.

WonderingSword5

Troubadour
Police procedurals aren't written by cops. Spy thrillers aren't written by spies. Why should a martial arts fantasy be any different?

Very much true. Then why have martial artists told me I can't write martial arts? Why are they more picky about it, than say cops or spies when they are put in fiction.

First off, these guys you talked to need to cool their jets. They aren't in a position to dictate terms to you, or any of us. But, that being said, they do underline why it's important to do your homework. If you're writing about the experience of being a martial artist, go deep and talk to the people involved, and you're already doing that. Keep at it and just make sure you get your facts straight.

They seemed very angry when I tried to get information. They just told me there have always been martial art tournaments, but I wanted to know specifically what the settings was like for then in the 90's with different age groups and I got nothing, other than I should go join it myself and see, otherwise I can't write it.

was a twelve-year-old girl competing in Tae Kwan Do in the late 80's with a dad who was multi-disciplinary and taught me a lot of unorthodox ways to defend myself. It was a different experience than probably most of the guys you talked to would have had.

My MC would be starting it when he was 12, set in the 90's so maybe this could be similar? Though I was going to make it a kung fu tournament.

Have you ever seen the Mighty Ducks movies? They're about a kid's hockey team. I'm a hockey player. I'm also Canadian, so I know my hockey, form tiny kid's level up to the adult levels. Those movies, to put it bluntly, the hockey is terrible in soooo many ways, from the rules to environment to equipment to simple game play. it gets A LOT wrong, like 90% wrong. But it's cute and it's fun, so I can watch it and enjoy it for what it is. Sure I may groan sometimes at the game play and stuff, but enough people enjoyed the stories enough to have fostered two sequels, a Disney TV show, and a real life NHL team.

Yes and they did make mistakes! That's why I dont get why some are so sensitive if the martial arts is not perfectly accurate. Karate Kid/Cobra Kai's style and tournament is not 100% accurate, I've never scene matches like that with kids hitting eachother hard with flashy moves and no protection on them.

WonderingSword5

Troubadour
Check out the World Karate Federation videos on YouTube. They have videos that show what the rules, regulations, points systems and terms used in karate are.
This is close to what I want. Could this have been set in the 90's with kids fighting against eachother?
Kata are chereographed movements that are similar to synchronised dancing. All tournaments have Kata and Kumite competitions.

Kumite is any training or fighting involving an adversary. Kumite contestants are classed by gender and weight, not age.

Kihon are the basic techniques themselves, along with the breathing and physical exercises that people who do karate use.

Hope this helps.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Who cares what these people told you? Seriously. What percentage of your likely readers do they represent?

You decide what you write about, not them. Follow your own vision for the story. It seems a bit crazy to me to let people on some random internet site tell you what you can write about.

Why don't you go round to their dojo and threaten to beat them up? (Do I really have to say that I'm kidding?)

I've written before my objection to this idiotic notion that no-one is allowed to write anything (or anyone) outside their own subculture. Tell that to Asimov or Hillary Mantel.

Write whatever you want is my rule, tempered only by the fact that if you are going to venture into culturally sensitive territory then you'd better do it with good taste, sensibility and appropriate insight. I seriously don't see how writing about martial arts is culturally sensitive on any objective scale, but if in doubt, why not invent your own form of martial arts? Or just straight karate? A bit of research would be helpful - maybe even take some lessons to get an idea of how karate makes you feel?

To look at it from the other perspective - while there are no rules against writing something like martial arts (or anything really) a personal knowledge will improve the book. My first published novel was a crime novel but set against the backdrop of English football. That book enjoys something of a cult status - not for the crime - for the descriptions of football culture and action. I've been a massive fan all my life and still play Over 45s so I do have a visceral understanding of the sport which I know comes through on the page.

That is not meant to discourage you. I'm just suggesting you deeply immerse yourself mentally and physically in the sport and its culture. I'm sure it will help your creative juices to flow.

WonderingSword5

Troubadour

Hope this helps.

I checked this out and this might be useful for my story. Would an event like this make sense as a tournament back in the 90's with kids/teens in it? I couldn't find any footage in the 90's, only more recent matches that took part a couple years ago and I don't see any teens.

Would this work if I used the same concept but instead of karate, I made it kung fu/wushu instead?

WonderingSword5

Troubadour
You decide what you write about, not them. Follow your own vision for the story. It seems a bit crazy to me to let people on some random internet site tell you what you can write about.

I really want to, I just want it to be authentic :(

I am quite sure i could write a martial arts story without their input

But how would you write it if you never experienced it? So many told me I need the experience. I will do my research but I can't find any teen match tournaments with kung fu, even karate :(