• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

New member saying hello

Hello internet people. Hope you´re having a weird and interesting day.
I´m a new guy dipping my toes into the writing world after getting a lot of encouragement from family and friends who like the stories I make up. I´m almost ready with one short story drafted and a 2nd one on the way.
I´m influenced by myth according to Joseph Campbell, Carl Jung and Mircea Eliade. In terms of style I aspire to be funny like Douglas Adams and visceral like Clive Barker (specifically Weaveworld). It was Ulysses that opened my eyes to what a book can be and gave me the confidence to give writing a try.
I hope to build a good dialogue on this forum and talk to many of you soon. If you want to chit chat about any of the authors or books I mention above, I will give you all the time in the world!

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Welcome to the Scribes! Do have a good look around; there's plenty of good information here.

About that short story: have you submitted it yet? I encourage you to do so!

LCatala

Minstrel
Welcome.

Joseph Campbell's monomyth is a useful, if a bit parochial way to think about story, but be aware it's not the only one and it cannot hurt to broaden your views and look at what others have to say.

Welcome to the Scribes! Do have a good look around; there's plenty of good information here.

About that short story: have you submitted it yet? I encourage you to do so!
Hi Skip.Knox, and thanks for the welcome! I´ve not submitted yet, but I think this is the place. Am going to familiarize myself a little first - I was on another forum for a while that started well but ended up giving me the heeby-jeebies.

Welcome.

Joseph Campbell's monomyth is a useful, if a bit parochial way to think about story, but be aware it's not the only one and it cannot hurt to broaden your views and look at what others have to say.
Hi LCatala and thanks for the welcome! The monomyth is the tip of the iceberg and yes I agree, it is a well explored mine. He makes excellent observations about how we perceive metaphor and how stories connect with the people of its time that really made me think, and it has been a great ride to follow up on his own sources where the interest takes me. Do you have any suggestions for "broadening horizons?"

Welcome. Influenced by some of Jung's work, too. One of Mircea Eliade's books is in my TBR pile right now.
Hi Ned, thanks for the welcome. Which one is in your pile? I found "The sacred and the profane" to be easy to read, not too academic but gets his principal concepts across.

LCatala

Minstrel
Hi LCatala and thanks for the welcome! The monomyth is the tip of the iceberg and yes I agree, it is a well explored mine. He makes excellent observations about how we perceive metaphor and how stories connect with the people of its time that really made me think, and it has been a great ride to follow up on his own sources where the interest takes me. Do you have any suggestions for "broadening horizons?"

For western story structures, I really like John Truby's book "The Anatomy of Story", which is an interestingly way to construct a story more organically, without relying explicitely on the 3 act format (the book is meant primarily for movie screenplays, but most of it is perfectly adaptable to novels as well).

For more out of the box ideas, the Japanese structure of the "Kishōtenketsu" can be eye opening on some of the things western storytellers take for granted that are not in fact necessary parts of a story (although finding resources on that topic isn't the easiest).

For western story structures, I really like John Truby's book "The Anatomy of Story", which is an interestingly way to construct a story more organically, without relying explicitely on the 3 act format (the book is meant primarily for movie screenplays, but most of it is perfectly adaptable to novels as well).

For more out of the box ideas, the Japanese structure of the "Kishōtenketsu" can be eye opening on some of the things western storytellers take for granted that are not in fact necessary parts of a story (although finding resources on that topic isn't the easiest).
Thanks, I have Truby on my wishlist now. Hope to get your feedback on my stories when I post them in the near future.

Myth and Reality. Have you read this one?
Nope, but I´ll get round to it. The Harper & Rowe blurb does sound rather like someone wet the bed for modern Gnosticism though. "Only those spiritual and intellectual leaders of our epoch who have a paternity in this extension of man's horizons are invited to participate in this Series". Hmm, and a typo too.