• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

TheKillerBs

Maester
So I have this idea about a nomadic people living in tents on the backs of sauropod dinosuars. Then I thought... how would I call these creatures? "Sauropod" is a bit problematic for various reasons. For one, it sounds far too scientific and modern. For another, it's a clade that's roughly on the same rank as "ungulate", just calling them sauropods would be a tad unspecific. On the other hand, more specific names such as diplodocid or brachiosaurid sound even more modern and scientific, and run the risk of less people getting them. Calling them brontosaurs would remove the latter part, at least, but it feels too specific and it still has a modern scientific feel to it.

If I don't use the scientific names, though, what would I use? Calquing from the scientific names would not be helpful, which is how Chinese and Japanese (formerly) translate dinosaur names would not be helpful. "Lizardfeet" is a terrible name for a fantasy sauropod. Ditto "arm lizard" and "double beam". "Thunder lizard" for brontosaurs sounds much more fantasy but would give the entirely wrong impression. I have no idea what other strategy languages have for naming dinosaurs beyond borrowing them wholecloth.

Naturally, the people of the region have words for these creatures, but I don't think that would be a good idea either. Don't call a rabbit a smeerp and all that.

Anyway, for the time being I'm calling them brontosaurs but I'd love to hear what y'all think.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Just go with Saurus, and put differents word in front like a dog breed. Red Saurus. Arctic Saurus. Yorkshire Saurus. Then remember that a lot of times people who know about different breeds (i.e., the people riding them) will end up dropping the word Saurus, so they'll just be called Reds or Yorkshires, or whatever breeds are appropriate to your setting.

Brontos could work, too, instead of Saurus.

Chasejxyz

Inkling
Long necks lol

But really I've had that issue, too, with pleistocene megafauna. "Mammoth" sounds like a normal-enough name while most other species have something scientific-y, so I either make up a name that's evocative of what it is (swordtooth/sword-toothed cat) or a more literal definition of what it is (great elk). You could probably do the former with dinosaurs. If your sauropods hang out in the dinosaur sex lakes, then they could be named after said bodies of water (Huron [insert made up word here], salt lake [insert made up word here]). But also you can just...make up whatever crazy word you want, and then give a "translation" of it into English.

TheKillerBs

Maester
Just go with Saurus, and put differents word in front like a dog breed. Red Saurus. Arctic Saurus. Yorkshire Saurus. Then remember that a lot of times people who know about different breeds (i.e., the people riding them) will end up dropping the word Saurus, so they'll just be called Reds or Yorkshires, or whatever breeds are appropriate to your setting.

Brontos could work, too, instead of Saurus.
Brontos is amazing, thanks. I guess I could look into what ARK players call their "dinos" for other kinds of extinct critters that I'll be using in this setting.

Long necks lol

But really I've had that issue, too, with pleistocene megafauna. "Mammoth" sounds like a normal-enough name while most other species have something scientific-y, so I either make up a name that's evocative of what it is (swordtooth/sword-toothed cat) or a more literal definition of what it is (great elk). You could probably do the former with dinosaurs. If your sauropods hang out in the dinosaur sex lakes, then they could be named after said bodies of water (Huron [insert made up word here], salt lake [insert made up word here]). But also you can just...make up whatever crazy word you want, and then give a "translation" of it into English.

Yeah, good idea for the first one. I don't think making up words is too helpful, unless it's for the conlang(s) I'm doing for this setting >_>

Last edited:
The most common naming convention either come from the simplistic sorts or just putting them all under the Saurian banner of scalies. With often the names that go with long necks and that sort. But using dinosaur nicknames based off the scientific names isn't out.

ButlerianHeretic

Troubadour
Depends on your PoV. If it is omniscient, use the name that is most meaningful to the reader. If the PoV is closer to the character, use the name the characters would call them, then describe them well enough so the reader can translate. Also, for great narrative descriptions, read The Dinosaurs by William Stout. Some of the science is a bit dated like no feathers on theropods, but very vivid characterization and the art is amazing.

Reminds me of The Dinosaur Lords: Basically Game of Thrones but with Dinosaurs. And therefor superior to Game of Thrones.

Anyway, it's been a while since I read it, so I can't remember all of the names, but I do know that the velociraptors (the feathered kind) were explicitly called terrors by nearly everyone because they were extremely vicious animals to have to deal with. Maybe you could look that series up for examples. Most of them were referred to in descriptive terms of what they looked like or did. Hadrosaurs, for example, I think were called trumpeters? That or that's what the mounted corps of them were called.

Saigonnus

Auror
What is the difference between dragons and dinosaurs? Not much if you look at it. Sure, dragons are generally depicted as big lizards with a breath weapon that can somehow fly despite how big and heavy they are. What if you make them more "natural" i.e. part of the ecosystem? Remove the ability to fly, and give them something like acidic saliva (like the kimodo dragon) and it would look more like a dinosaur than a dragon.

That's what I did for one of my fantasy worlds. I love dragons, but I wanted to make them more natural, a part of the ecosystem even if they are near the top as an apex predator, a smart one to be sure. Instead of being 60+ feet long they are more like 20' long from nose to tail and live in small family pods. One of the parents will stay near to their den while the other hunts. They don't have a breath weapon, but their saliva is highly acidic, it can strip flesh away in a matter of moments, break it down for it nutrients. They also have natural barbed bristles on the tail, ones that detach and release a powerful sedative into any creature pierced.

Could I call them a saurian? Sure... but they are dragons.