• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

A New Start

Fox

Dreamer
Hey there! I'm honestly surprised this name wasn't taken.

This forum seems mainly about the fantasy genre, and not everything I write falls under that umbrella, so I've been hesitant to join.

Writing is a very difficult ordeal for me. I definitely resonate with not liking to write, but I like having written. That's not entirely true though; rambling journal-esque writing comes very natural to me, as does non-fiction pursuits, or just conversational writing like this. Specifically, fiction is my greatest struggle. The bane of my existence, even. And yet I am forever haunted by ideas that, for some reason, chose me. Therefore I hope to get some help here and improve over time.

I'm currently working on a WIP in which I strive, like Dante did with Hell in his masterful The Divine Comedy, to imagine and manifest depression as a metaphysical place. Beyond that, I haven't the faintest clue about Remy's journey. Without going into detail, this WIP is personally important to me in terms of my own life experience, and I feel a tremendous responsibility to do the idea justice because of the gravity of the concept. Mental health is one of the most urgent issues we face today. I'd be more than happy to look at existing stories you know of that might relate to this—the Monogatari series and Wonder Egg Priority are anime that deal with it, and I'm always looking for more storytelling examples.

A bit about me: I enjoy watching anime. I'm just now getting into light novels, starting with the Monogatari series. I am also studying Japanese. But besides all that, I casually enjoy sports, going to the gym, playing video games, and music. Lord of the Rings is also my favorite movie trilogy! The books were great as well, The Hobbit included (but not those wretched excuses for films). I am also a fan of Hemingway especially, Lovecraft, Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, and Orwell. I haven't read much contemporary fiction, but Nisio Isin is wonderful. :)

In other communities I have made the mistake(?) of posting in the off-topic sections and being ensnared by them, and unfortunately those places became more of a distraction from writing. So here I intend on embodying a "business" attitude in which I generally avoid those parts of the forum. Still, I look forward to meeting some new people and bettering one another's craft.

Last edited:

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well-met Fox
Good to have you here.
Anyone that likes Lovecraft and Orwell is okay by me (y)

Reactions: Fox

LAG

Troubadour
Entering through the abyssal gulfs of times long past and spaces yet to be borne, you manipulate your hand tentacles to pen, send, display a message of newness.

Welcome ; )

Fox

Dreamer
Hail and well-met Fox
Good to have you here.
Anyone that likes Lovecraft and Orwell is okay by me (y)

Lovecraft is criminally underappreciated!

Entering through the abyssal gulfs of times long past and spaces yet to be borne, you manipulate your hand tentacles to pen, send, display a message of newness.

Welcome ; )

This is the most Lovecraftian welcome I think that I have ever received lol :D

S J Lee

Inkling
if you're looking for business, slap up an opening in critiques after making a few posts elsewhere. And welcome!

Fox

Dreamer
if you're looking for business, slap up an opening in critiques after making a few posts elsewhere. And welcome!

Thank-you Lee. I believe now I've fulfilled the requirements, so soon I hope to have some good critique to share, and some work of my own to offer.