• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Fictional Europe

Trauma

Dreamer
My story takes place in a fictional(and magical) version of Europe, with a setting similar to medieval times.

The kingdoms/towns/cities(along with their names) are all fictional yet the cultures related to their respected countries remain the same.

With that said, and with the map and countries still in their places, should the countries be renamed or would it make sense to keep their actual titles? For example:

"Germany is renamed Gütisvhast, but the language and cultures remain."

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
I think it would be best in this case if you used synonyms for the countries, or mythical places of said country's history. "Gütisvhast" doesn't mean anything in German and doesn't mean anything to Germany. Alemannia on the other hand accomplishes the same goal of distancing the place from the real world country, while also establishing that the fictional version is supposed to be an imitation of the real world one.

Netherlands : Batavia
England : Albion
Switzerland : Helvetica
Central Italy : Latium

You can go on and on.

Trauma

Dreamer
I see, then it would be best to use alternative names for these countries, after all. Now to build upon it.
Which begs the question: Would Europe then be called Europa(which is Latin) in my fantasy version of it? Or "Old World"?

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Most languages seem to simply call Europe, a variation of Europe, so little luck there. The Persians apparently called Europe "Frankistan" after the Franks,, so you could take that if you wish. Up to you.

Trauma

Dreamer
That's very true, so I may have to make a list of names or forge an original name by combining Latin words together from words that are related to Europe.

Had to refer to this site for some name ideas: Alternate Names/Europe
At the moment, draft names of countries so far are currently:
Spain: Iberia
France:Gallía
Germany: Alamania
Denmark:Dania
Italy: Esperia
Norway: Nöörjen
Sweden: Gothia
Finland: Fennia
United Kingdom: Ablion
Ireland: Éire

Nighty_Knight

Troubadour
Another thing to keep in mind is Europe in the Middle Ages didn’t have the same exact countries that exist today. Germany, for example, was the Holy Roman Empire and made up of a bunch of separate Kingdoms and Principalities. Italy was divided into city states such as Milan, Venice, Florence, the Papal States, and the Kingdom of Naples. France was France, but also Burgandy was not really unified with France yet.

Here is a good site with maps of Europe based on year. An example here is Europe in 1400.
Euratlas Periodis Web - Map of Europe in Year 1400

If I would use the exact map of europe, the cultures of those countries and the borders of those countries then I would just use the country names. Though, as Nighty_Knight mentions, I would pick a year and then use the countries as they were then. I don't think you gain anything by just renaming the countries. It would feel very silly and contrived to me. Only once you start changing the map and borders does it make sense to start changing names.

Mad Swede

Auror
That's very true, so I may have to make a list of names or forge an original name by combining Latin words together from words that are related to Europe.

Had to refer to this site for some name ideas: Alternate Names/Europe
At the moment, draft names of countries so far are currently:
Spain: Iberia
France:Gallía
Germany: Alamania
Denmark:Dania
Italy: Esperia
Norway: Nöörjen
Sweden: Gothia
Finland: Fennia
United Kingdom: Ablion
Ireland: Éire
Hmm. That suggested name for Sweden would apply only to the southern part, not to the northern parts or the areas around Stockholm.