• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Works/books that don't leave out the 'unimportant stuff'

The Finxi

Dreamer
Does anybody know a book/work that includes in detail a character's private thoughts and actions, in the form of day-to-day concerns and activities, like running errands, going to sleep, going potty. A storytelling that rebels against privacy and novelty? I wonder what specific genre I should try looking for.

A song of ice and fire by George RR Martin (aka Games of Thrones) has some of this. Plenty of people taking a shit in that.

The only other example which comes to mind is Hunger, by Knut Hamsun, which is, surprisingly, a novel about someone who is hungry. That's also pretty much all that happens in the novel. I'll leave it to the reader to form an opinion on that... The guy did win a Nobel prize in literature though, so he achieved way more then I every will in the field of literature.

My best guess though is that's the genre you're aiming for. Literary fiction, where someone tries to portray life as lifelike as possible, without actually having a plot or a story to tell.

Lynea

Sage
Yes, literary fiction is definitely where authors get away with that. In the nonfiction vein, however, I know Pilgrim at Tinker Creek is a good read. Beautiful language and nature images are what draw the reader in. There's no sense of conflict in that book and still it won a Pulitzer Prize.