• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writing a good National Anthem

Azaraiha

Scribe
Before I ask my question, let me give you some background information:
My novel is set in a fantasy world with Napoleonic era technology. I guess you could technically say it's flintlock fantasy. Magic exists in this world, only in so far as enchantment. Called Runecrafting, Runesmiths take shards of a certain, magically imbued stone called Aetherium and etch them in specific patterns to form runes. The only runes that exist are elemental runes of Fire, Lightning, and Wind, Conditioning Runes as Greater Durability, Rust Resistance, Enhanced Strength and Enhanced Mechanics: ie, this rune is able to simplify complex machines and strengthen them. Armies give their elite units rifle's that have been enhanced through runes, called Runelocks. Runelocks are guns that can be loaded with several rounds without having to reload after each shot and have a fire rune engraved on their barrel for enhanced accuracy.
Runecrafted items are incredibly expensive, and as such incredibly rare.

The story centers around an Elven army fighting a devastating war against a powerful human army. The scene involves the Elven army returning to the capitol of their empire after a long and successful campaign in a triumphant parade before the Elven emperor who has his musicians play their national anthem.

My question is what makes a good National Anthem as far as lyrics go? Especially for one that could be classified as a March?

Lynea

Sage
I'd imagine that an elvish anthem would have a simple rhyme scheme and capture a vast history within a few phrases. You could always research a few anthems to get a better idea, but generally speaking, you want to talk about the land and the people. Here is something I read just today:

In silver waters the island calls
‘Neath skies of sapphire
Emerald trees guard the noble Isle
Fighting for our people in times of war
And even harder in times of peace
Brave and loyal is our King.
Bright and caring is our people
Yet strong and valiant, just the same
Ballad Island calls to us.
Yes, it’s calling us by name.

LAG

Troubadour
Hmmm.

What type of music, instrumentation, poetical practices does your elven empire and its peoples employ? (*EDIT: just now read it's a march.)

What is the general political and socioeconomic climate within the empire, currently and when the anthem was written?

Is it traditionally a choral and orchestral performance, or something smaller, say, a single vocalist and a percussion band?
(*EDIT: I assume a marching anthem is sung by all and requires marshaled verse)
Will the warriors and all present sing along, or is the custom to remain silent and listen to the band? If the former, consider how your words will sound if blasted out all at once from the mouths of a great big crowd. Then, shorter verses and simpler words tend to enhance the effect, at least from my experience whenever I chanced to find myself watching one or another of the sports that beings of earth partake in.

Anthems of today encapsulate many things, sometimes speaking of the bounteous land, of gods, of wars fought and won, freedoms claimed; the veracity of a folk. But these are all earth human anthems, so yours can be much, much different.

Incorporating historical themes, like the settling of the land, the rise of the first emperor, maybe the first ever victory against humans? Something like
'Oh we from Asrildar fair across sea did glide
'Gladdened we were, with shore asight
'So beckoned the land, emerald eye awink
'Promising mirth, magics and might!

One more possible theme to incorporate is either the runesmiths themselves, or the runes as a sort of elemental theme with double meaning, for 'Cleansed with fire' and 'Riding with storm in hand' will have special meaning to your society. And so too the runesmiths: I assume that they are very powerful or rich, or both, unless they follow some sort of monastic code setting them above worldly affairs.
If they've been there for a few centuries, then surely much of the empire's success through he ages can be laid at the feet of their creations, which would make them an excellent topic for inclusion into an anthem. Unless, of course, either they or the emperor would balk at such blatant publicity, or perhaps prefer a more poetic and less specific anthem.

Last edited:

Miles Lacey

Archmage
What are the colours of the flag of this Empire?
Do they call it the motherland, Fatherland or something else?
Who founded the Empire?
Who are regarded as its greatest leaders?
Name a few towns, mountains and other features.

Give me that and I'll have something to work with. In the meantime check out some of the national anthems of the former Soviet Bloc countries. Great marching music even if the politics and regimes they praise leave much to be desired.