• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How To Have An ADHD Modeled Species

ShadeZ

Maester
So I have ADHD, my primary species in my WIP have ADHD traits (as I know them and have heard friends as well report). They have hypersensitive senses, generally, they enjoy and are skilled hunters, they have fantastic reflexes. Beyond the fact they have obvious dramatized ADHD "symptoms" they have an altered appearance (where they obviously deviate from true ADHD) in the form of feline eyes, and some other cat-like features and abilities such as being able to jump quite high and climb very well. Naturally, these features coupled with the hallmark "childishness/immaturity" (which can most of the time be toned down) and their habit of being skilled monster hunters causes them to be looked on as problematic by most of humanity (they are the reason humans are not enslaved by monster and dragons but no one recalls that part of course).

My question is how to have a book where 4 of 5 mains are this species are present and it not constantly be an action scene (obviously they seek excitement and often even combat). So something like a peace keeping meeting would be tricky for them.

Mad Swede

Auror
Right, so let me answer you like this. Are you constantly on the go? Not everyone I know who has ADHD is always on the go, and I've known several who served successfully on peacekeeping missions around the world. In the real world cats can usually work out an agreement where one area is a sort of peace zone where the cats can meet without fighting one another. I'd suggest that the ability to have a peaceful meeting would depend on what's at stake - the higher the stakes, the more likely they are to keep things calm for everyone's benefit.

Queshire

Auror
ADHD Queshire here. Hmmm... rather than a desire for action consider it a desire for stimulation? Lots of non-action scenes provide that; good food or music, verbal sparring with one of the other characters, the sight of beautiful vistas spreading out in front of you or the puzzle of trying to solve a mystery.

ShadeZ

Maester
Right, so let me answer you like this. Are you constantly on the go? Not everyone I know who has ADHD is always on the go, and I've known several who served successfully on peacekeeping missions around the world. In the real world cats can usually work out an agreement where one area is a sort of peace zone where the cats can meet without fighting one another. I'd suggest that the ability to have a peaceful meeting would depend on what's at stake - the higher the stakes, the more likely they are to keep things calm for everyone's benefit.
Ironically amongst their own species they can keep the peace fairly easily because all of them have a need to burn off energy and find entertainment so they will play fight, run, hunt whatever before a meeting and will talk during a meeting. However when meeting with humans is when it would be problematic, they would have to burn off energy beforehand or during the meeting but only among themselves, That or bust out some rad dance moves lol.

ShadeZ

Maester
ADHD Queshire here. Hmmm... rather than a desire for action consider it a desire for stimulation?
1. Congrats.
2. Umm, yes and no. There is a need to burn off excess energy however that can be handled easily enough before a meeting. The only issue with te stimulation bit is that they also are a long lived race. The ones in question at a human peace council are 247, 228, 525, 527 years old and they are still considered "young adults" by their species standards. Once you are over a millennium old is when your considered an "adult". The oldest among them is a few thousand years old and to say he has seen it all is an understatement. If all else fails I guess I could have them discover the holy grail that is marshmallows though lol.

ShadeZ

Maester
Also would zoning out be relevant? Since ya know a boring sit here and listen would cause that probably?

Just make your species cats. All cats are functional ADHD. They spend long periods zoning out, get hyperactive when they get active, and they aren't any the worse for it.

Ironically amongst their own species they can keep the peace fairly easily because all of them have a need to burn off energy and find entertainment so they will play fight, run, hunt whatever before a meeting and will talk during a meeting. However when meeting with humans is when it would be problematic, they would have to burn off energy beforehand or during the meeting but only among themselves, That or bust out some rad dance moves lol.
That, and ADHD folks are honest. We don't know how to play shady politics. We can't be insincere. (Not strictly my own observation; that's come up more than once in my ADHD support group.)

That would make for keeping the peace among themselves easily. The difficulty would come when plopped into a space where playing office politics is expected.

ShadeZ

Maester
That, and ADHD folks are honest. We don't know how to play shady politics. We can't be insincere.
This comes up problematically in the books when they learn of a plot to assassinate the human king and their solution is to outright kill the perp. They do not (partly because they cannot) lie to each other the closest they can do is simply not talk or tell a part truth so it bends the story in one favor or another. They can lie to humans, since humans lack the ability to sense dishonesty that demidur possess. But, assuming they respect or wish to show respect they won't lie to a human. The only thing that might justify such to them is using lies to scare an answer out of a foe. (For example in keeping with cats) they can be quite sadistic and are even better at bluffing they live for the game actually. As such they can tell you they will torture you when they wont to try to scare you. more often even there it will be hypothetically worded such as, so do you have any idea how painful ____ is? the n provide a detailed explanation without once threatening or directly promising harm.

Chasejxyz

Inkling
Travis Kalanick might be ADHD, he did his best thinking walking, so he had a 2 mile track installed in the custom-built Uber HQ so he could power walk around the building. And he made other people have meetings with him that way. So your cat people could so something like that.

Travis Kalanick might be ADHD, he did his best thinking walking, so he had a 2 mile track installed in the custom-built Uber HQ so he could power walk around the building. And he made other people have meetings with him that way. So your cat people could so something like that.
If it were the whole society, though, it would be built into the social customs. People would walk and talk when they needed to talk, not sit down and talk. What Kalanick did got noticed because it's outside the norm. What these cat people are doing is going to be perfectly within their norms, although humans might think it's odd.

Humans might also find they prefer the cat people's way. Especially ADHD humans.

It's a species and one limited to only 175 ish member at that. Very small amount, very powerful, but just not many. However the humans are int he few millions.
And does this species have its own subculture? It sounds like that's what you're looking to build.

Within the subculture, the norms can be what would be accommodations to ADHD in the wider culture.

ShadeZ

Maester
And does this species have its own subculture? It sounds like that's what you're looking to build.

Within the subculture, the norms can be what would be accommodations to ADHD in the wider culture.
It has a subculture but being it's so small it doesnt affect humans. They are going to meet with the human king who is being introduced by a giant who lived among these cat people so he is aware of their norms. But they are meeting the humans in their castles and on their terms. The king throws a feast and ball for them but I'm debating if 1. The king would do something else like a tournament which is far better suited to them or a hunting party. 2. If they wouldnt start something at a ball like a brawl or betting.

The concept of nobility and royalty being inherited is also a point of amusement for them as royalty and nobility comes from yes your parents but more from your own power. Anyone can steal your crown if they are stronger or smarter than you. The four here are all royalty from noble houses who grew up together and as a result watch each others backs.