• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hello to you all

The first fantasy book that inspired me was Lord of the Rings, although I read many books of myths and legends as a child. I read all of Tolkien's other works avidly, as they was published. Once into the 'groove,' I read authors such as Stephen Donaldson, Anne McCaffrey, E. R. Eddison, and John Wyndham. I was also influenced by readng he Icelandic Sagas, Thomas Mallory, The Mabinogion and Arthurian Tales. As a result I have written a nine book series which I am self publishing.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well-met Vanessa L. Ehmann
Good to have you here.
I love the Icelandic Sagas. And if you like them, have a look at The Kalevala, which is a Finnish epic poem.

Hail and well-met Vanessa L. Ehmann
Good to have you here.
I love the Icelandic Sagas. And if you like them, have a look at The Kalevala, which is a Finnish epic poem.

Hi Cupofjoe, I will look up the Kalevala.
I like reading books etc whilst visiting the places they are written about. I read part of Njal's Saga when on an expedition to Iceland in 1973It made it very real and meaningful.
I have yet to go to Finland but it is on my list!

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Iceland is on my bucket list too. I have been to Finland only for the weekend but it was an extraordinary place. All the Finns I have worked with have been fairly special too. They don't seem to know the meaning of the word "fear"... or maybe "caution" :whistle:

Hello Vanessa! Welcome to the Scribes. I hope you'll enjoy your time here, and find our little corner of the world of use to you. Best of luck with your nine book series!

Hi there! Want to give us a taste on critiques (or showcase, if you do not want a critique)?
Hi again,
Thanks for the offer. I will posts some tasters on the appropriate part of the site once I have gained admission. (5 posts?) Having read the rules I am conscious that this is a family site and my books contain adult content in respect of violence.
I am currently editng Book 4 in the series The Saga of the Chyrons There is a website: thechyrons.com.

S J Lee

Inkling
Don't worry, five posts isn't a hard target to meet. As for "adult content", Demesnedenoir had an opening chapter with a "zombie heroine" coming back to life while her corpse was being raped. https://mythicscribes.com/community/threads/weight-of-falling.23423/

Not everyone's cup of tea, but since it was what he had to say we dutifully considered it.... certainly, he was not banned by the mods....

Is your stuff that much more extreme that his? Just curious!

No I wouldn' say my adult content was extreme. I do not read the zombie genre and I am rather uncomforatble with your example and think it rather gratuitous. I would not want younger family members reading your post and I am thinking this forum is not for me.
Signing off

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well that was short, and less than five posts too... Must be the zombies. Good job Dem.

S J Lee

Inkling
Sheesh, it wasn't even my own stuff I was referring to! Oh well, you can't offend everybody, so to speak . . .

And the OP liked S Donaldson? I ditched SD's stuff as soon as we had the bit where the MC rapes a woman, but the MC cannot be punished cos he is the Chosen One or some such . . .

But there you are!