• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

NaNoWriMo 2021

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Hmmm...

Old computer croaked two weeks ago. Got this 'new' beast up and sort of running a few days ago. No ongoing projects apart from minor editing. Therefor...

Started a tale called 'Falling Towers' decades ago. Made it to the 'muddy middle,' got lost, ran out of writing mojo. But...this summer I finally finished a passable draft of 'Empire: Exiles,' which is set in a distant part of the same world with a tangential tie in. Gave 'Falling Towers' a look over right before the old beast crashed, seemed pretty good. I now Know what has to happen to make Falling Towers work. So...

NaNo might be a 'go' for me this year.

SolLilja

Dreamer
I went in with no idea what to write, didn't feel like opening an unfinished project to work on. So I woke up today and hoped I would magically come up with, and feel satisfied with, a brand new novel idea. And it worked! :joyful: So, I'm now writing an urban fantasy, with witches. So far, I have an idea of the world and a side-story. I do not have main characters or the main story. I'm just going to continue writing and hope to figure this out :whistle:

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Well, I signed up. 'Thinker102' on NaNo.

At this point, I'm still in the early organizational stage of things - lists of characters (probably over a hundred of them, including six or eight POV characters), and another forty or fifty place names, Get the list work done, I'll need an outline of some sort - I know what needs to happen next, and a key event shines bright and clear after that, plus the big climactic fight is well in mind, but there's a whole bunch of other stuff that needs to be slotted in. Might be the end of the week before I'm actually writing the story proper.

But all this counts to the NaNo word count.

Alright...
I'm gonna try again this year and this time I have nothing to limit me or keep me from doing it to my full potential. And honestly, this couldn't have hit at a better time. I just started writing my Novel, finally! I'm so excited!

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Well, I signed up. 'Thinker102' on NaNo.

At this point, I'm still in the early organizational stage of things - lists of characters (probably over a hundred of them, including six or eight POV characters), and another forty or fifty place names, Get the list work done, I'll need an outline of some sort - I know what needs to happen next, and a key event shines bright and clear after that, plus the big climactic fight is well in mind, but there's a whole bunch of other stuff that needs to be slotted in. Might be the end of the week before I'm actually writing the story proper.

But all this counts to the NaNo word count.
Heck yeah, it counts. People often think that writing is just making pages, but development and plotting absolutely count toward the goal.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
hmm...I seem to have gotten sidelined doing edits on prior tales that have troubled me for a while.
No worries. It's Day 6 and with the book launch stuff I still haven't written word one. I'm hoping to change that, but today isn't looking so good. :p

Thank goodness for this thread; I completely forgot about NaNoWriMo. There's a novel I've had in the drafts since '16. I'm ready to write it now.

Good luck, everyone.

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
No worries. It's Day 6 and with the book launch stuff I still haven't written word one. I'm hoping to change that, but today isn't looking so good. :p
Good luck on your publishing! Woop!

I only missed one day of writing but I'm still not where I need to be in order to win this thing. We'll see what happens but I work long hours and wasn't expecting to hit 50k anyway; just using NaNo to get back in the habit of writing my own work again lol.

In the end I'm skipping this year. I've got my next novel coming out next monday, and there's always all sorts of last minute launch things that need doing. And I'm in the middle of editing another novel, and I want to get that out of the way first before starting on the next project. So I'm guessing it'll be December before I really start putting down new words on the page.

Good luck to everyone taking part this year.

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
Sometimes that happens. One would think that being a writer you write everyday and that's the goal but not always realistic. Good luck on your launch.

My goal is to do something writing related 5 out of 7 days. With a fulltime job and a family that's already quite a lot. It leaves me with a night to spend time with my wife and a night to go do sports or visit a friend or family or something like that. It keeps me sane.

And in this context, writing related is either writing, editing or any of the other things that need doing when publishing and marketing a book. And this month happens to be editing and publishing month (for two different projects), which means no writing.

A side effect is that it does make me excited to write something again. Though I've now got a new project bouncing around in my head, while I should actually be focussing on a sequel... Maybe I should start doubting that staying sane part... ;)

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
started back up on the writing project after a long bout of editing other works...then had to deal with a odd word processor issue...which while resolved, means doing more organizational work. Not even to the outline yet, just a thousand words worth of names and notes...

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I have actually managed to sprain my left shoulder to the point where it's indescribably painful most of the time. Bloody November. It really is trying to kill me.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Well...I did produce a thousand words of organizational material last night, but it was for a series of shorts (hopefully) for what I think of as the 'God Game' rather than 'Falling Towers.'

With MS Word finally installed, I am beginning to experiment with things like paragraph indents and proper line spacing.

Given it's other issues, Falling Towers might have to wait until the Spring NaNo.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Well...I did produce a thousand words of organizational material last night, but it was for a series of shorts (hopefully) for what I think of as the 'God Game' rather than 'Falling Towers.'

With MS Word finally installed, I am beginning to experiment with things like paragraph indents and proper line spacing.

Given it's other issues, Falling Towers might have to wait until the Spring NaNo.
Every word counts. And Word is the industry standard for a reason. We do almost everything in Microsoft 365, between Word, OneNote, and Excel. I think you'll like it.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Every word counts. And Word is the industry standard for a reason. We do almost everything in Microsoft 365, between Word, OneNote, and Excel. I think you'll like it.

The old beast had MS Word...until it didn't, about a year and a half ago. (the computer was in that bad of shape.) For a while, I made do with 'MS Works,' which I suspect was a very early version of MS Word, but it had more than a few issues, especially with apostrophes and dropping words from the dictionary (but at least it spell checked and caught some grammar bugs). 'Nightfall in Seahaven' and its successor were written in Works (as was all of 'Empire: Exiles.' What got me into trouble was all the editing - each time I edited a file, Works would create a new, duplicate file.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Wow, I remember Works. I think it came between WordStar and Word. And you're right, it probably was the foundation Word was built on. And it was a PITA.